Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Trying to get solid info on what bilstein struts will work with the factory US M030 springs. Weekend driver with occasional DE days. Not looking to go to ROW due to steep driveway.
i don’t know enough to say whether this is right or wrong, but my shop recommended bilstein B6 to go with M030 springs (from a 2000 S to go on my 98). after driving 20 years on the stock struts from M030 and H&R springs, i found the ride harsh with M030 springs and B6 struts. i’m back to B6 struts and new H&R springs.
i swear i feel the benefit of a slightly less jarring ride with the H&R springs

i’m sure my changes might be confusing. another view
98-99 stock base suspension
2000-2018 M030 struts and h&r springs , M030 sway bars
2019-2020 new b6 struts and old M030 springs
2021 b6 struts and new h&r springs

#22-046215
and
#22-046222

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/28/2021 10:45PM by SMILIN. (view changes)
B6 is what my shop recommended. Parts installed: #22-046215 and #22-046222

FYI:
On my '98, I used new B6 with US M030 springs from a '00 S for two years and found the ride jarring. Every bump was a tooth rattler. Car rattled like never before.
I just switched to new H&R springs with the same B6 struts. While I barely have 100 miles on the set, the H&R springs sure seem to reduce the jarring ride.
For 20 years I drove on US M030 struts and H&R springs and liked it. Knew it. Comfortable. Predictable.
I'll never know for sure if the new B6 struts are the same as the US M030 struts, but I hope so. So far, feels good. (And looks good with the H&R smiling smiley )

Visit Sacramento and take it for a spin
Thanks Smilin. Sounds like the stiff ride was more the m030 springs than anything. When you did the HR springs, were they standard ride height springs? I'm guessing so as you had the B6 struts. When you had the B6 with the M030 springs, was there any issue with the springs going slack when the car was on a lift?
Steve
i agree that the springs were the cause of the “very communicative” ride.

both old and new h&r springs lower the car about 1”

no slack with any of the combos i’ve used.

dan, thanks for the confirmation. i haven’t been driving much so am losing track...and/or losing my mind smiling smiley

doug
Hey Smilin,

I installed H&R springs and I was surprised it isn't so jarring as well.

Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login