Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hello all,

It's been a while since I posted on the board. It's nice to see a lot of familiar names still posting. smiling smiley The forum set-up reminds me of PPBB which is comforting.

Anyway...I'm having an issue with my top. Actually my first top issue in 18 years my 2002 Box S. I was dreading this. I have checked the latch switch and the convertible top relay and they are good. I do hear a sound from the top motor in the rear when pressing the top button to bring the top back up. I'm hoping it's an issue with the cables being bad. I'm trying to manually bring the top to the up position. I followed the car manual (pg 147-149) for an emergency situation to get the top up but I am having issues. I popped the red caps off the ball joints to the arms that attach to the top transmission but there are some black ones that connect to ball joints as well that are near impossible to get off!! The manual says they will pop off but I have had no luck in getting them off. I've also tried to get a socket wrench to the 19mm nut that holds the transmission in place but can't get to it because the top is in the down position. Any suggestions?? I attach a link to the instructions (Link). I appreciate it, Thanks!

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2021 07:22AM by djw8282. (view changes)
Your on the right track, the black joints need to be popped off the transmission arm to release the top. If you have your factory tool kit, there is an aluminum rod with a tapered end, like a big flat tip screwdriver. slide that behind the joint and pop the arm off the ball joint. the black one can be quite stiff.
Steve
Hello Steve. Thanks for the quick reply! I've used a crowbar and a long screwdriver to try to pop it off but no go. Maybe the factory tool has the magic touch. cool smiley I'll give that a try.

Dan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/01/2021 08:33AM by djw8282. (view changes)
Well, the factory tool broke at the tip. I used a long robust, flat screwdriver..Wedge it between the cap and ball joint. Then hit it with a 32oz mallet to separate it just a bit. I used a twisting, pulling motion to separate just a little more. Finally, I finish it off with the pry bar. Not easy but I got it done. Thanks.

Dan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login