Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Lloyds Mats question
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 19 March, 2011, at 10:17:44 am
I'm considering getting a set of Lloyds mats.

For those who have Lloyds mats, how are you finding the anchoring? I recall someone saying that they're a nice mat but they tend to slide around.

What's your experience?
Re: Lloyds Mats question
r9i8c7k - Saturday, 19 March, 2011, at 1:15:33 pm
Lloyds mats look great and are durable but the driver's side mat does slide to the right. Come replacement time I would still go with the Lloyds.

"Bart, with $10,000, we'd be millionaires! We could buy all kinds of useful things like...love!"
Re: Lloyds Mats question
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 19 March, 2011, at 3:31:46 pm
Thanks for the reply, Rick.

Is there not some sort of anchoring system with the mats? I know that my OEM mats never seem to move.

My concern is with both looks and more importantly not wanting the driver's side mat interfere with the pedals.
Anchoring mats
Bobtesa - Saturday, 19 March, 2011, at 3:52:19 pm
Guenter,

I don't like the way my Boxster OEM mats anchor, so I put two velcro strips on the under side of the driver's side mat with the joining velcro strips on the rubber (plastic?) piece of the carpeted area near the pedals. It works great and it is easy to remove for cleaning. I am not familiar with Lloyds mats, but my guess is that this method work with any mats.
Re: Anchoring mats
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 19 March, 2011, at 6:09:27 pm
Bobtesa
Guenter,

I don't like the way my Boxster OEM mats anchor, so I put two velcro strips on the under side of the driver's side mat with the joining velcro strips on the rubber (plastic?) piece of the carpeted area near the pedals. It works great and it is easy to remove for cleaning. I am not familiar with Lloyds mats, but my guess is that this method work with any mats.

Thanks Bob. The velcro idea had crossed my mind too. Good idea to put it on the rubber piece.

I haven't had any problem with my OEM's slipping. Mabye I have gentle feet? grinning smiley
Guenter, stick with the OEM mats...
CarreraLicious - Sunday, 20 March, 2011, at 8:15:10 am
I have had Lloyds mats in my car, and really dislike their plastic belt buckle snap system. It makes it a pain to remove when you need to pull the mats out to clean them. The OEM velcro set up allows you or anyone else (say at a hand car wash place), just yank them out quickly. JMHO. In fact, I hated the Lloyds setup so much, I ended up cutting off the buckle strap from the mats, and just put Velcro under the mats to allow them to fasten just like the OEM set.
Re: Guenter, stick with the OEM mats...
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 20 March, 2011, at 9:01:32 am
boxtaboy
I ended up cutting off the buckle strap from the mats, and just put Velcro under the mats to allow them to fasten just like the OEM set.

Thanks, Rich. How did you like the Lloyds Mats once you had just the velcro hold them in place? Did you still have problems with them moving around?

Did you like the feel of them, because they say that they are more plush and people claim that they stand up better than the OEM mats.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
I've had...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Sunday, 20 March, 2011, at 9:15:24 am
... several sets of Lloyds Mats and a couple of the OEMs as well.
No question that the Lloyds are superior in feel and wear (there are several tiers of quality in Lloyds - get the thickest).
I, on the other hand absolutely love the strap system. It anchors to the seat rails and uses a quick-release buckle for the mat.
I've never had it come loose.
The velcro system for the OEM or modified Lloyds is just not strong enough to hold the mat in place during a hard mountain drive.
To me, a loose mat is very dangerous. If you don't believe me, ask Toyota.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro.

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: I've had...
Guenter in Ontario - Sunday, 20 March, 2011, at 9:37:50 am
Thanks, Pedro. I totally agree about the mats moving around being dangerous. That's why I posted.

...hmmmmm mountain driving, Why would you bring that up? winking smiley smiling bouncing smiley
Re: I've had...
Paul S. - Friday, 25 March, 2011, at 10:38:31 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... several sets of Lloyds Mats and a couple of the OEMs as well.
No question that the Lloyds are superior in feel and wear (there are several tiers of quality in Lloyds - get the thickest).
I, on the other hand absolutely love the strap system. It anchors to the seat rails and uses a quick-release buckle for the mat.
I've never had it come loose.
The velcro system for the OEM or modified Lloyds is just not strong enough to hold the mat in place during a hard mountain drive.
To me, a loose mat is very dangerous. If you don't believe me, ask Toyota.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro.

+ 2 on all points. The lloyds mats wear like iron, and I never had issues with the buckle system. It works.

Current Porsche: PCA Club Coupe 2 of 50

Past: 02 986 S

01 996 Turbo

00 Millenium Coupe

99 996 C2

99 Boxster
Lloyed mats are on order.

Hopefully, the weather will cooperate so I can get out the Boxster at the beginning of April and try out the mats.
Re: Guenter, stick with the OEM mats...
CarreraLicious - Sunday, 20 March, 2011, at 12:14:47 pm
Hi Guenter, after I put the industrial strength velcro on the underside of the Lloyds mats, they held ok...not as secure as the OEM setup, as they are sewn in the mat, but for my purposes, just fine. They didn't ride up on the pedals at all. The Lloyds mats do feel more plush, sorta like a nice soft bathroom mat that you put next to your bathtub, but I actually prefer my car mats to be thin/lightweight in a sportscar, which the Lloyds are not. Everyone has their preference though, so you may like them. I just hated the strap snap system, as you almost have to stick your head all the way down there to undo the buckles (there's 2 to undo) so that you can pull those mats out. I like to just yank them out quickly.
Given the method you use of guiding into your Boxster, these mats aren't going anywhere. I suspect it's the method the enter and exit the car to some degree determined by girth, that causes movement, along with not having the Lloyds mats properly anchored in the first place. They look, feel, and wear so much better than the cheapo OEM's.

If they don't move on me, they won't move on you, Guenter. smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2011 03:01PM by Gary in SoFL. (view changes)
Gary in SoFL
Given the method you use of guiding into your Boxster, these mats aren't going anywhere.

If they don't move on me, they won't move on you, Guenter. smileys with beer

Gary, I'm sure glad that you said "guiding" and not "shifting" into the Boxster. I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm shifty. grinning smiley
I could have said sliding into your Boxster, or gliding into it, as you begin smoothly shifting.... smiling smiley

Your feet deserve Lloyds.....
Gary in SoFL

Your feet deserve Lloyds.....

...hmmm, I guess that passengers will not only have to take their shoes off, but also have wash their feet before getting in. grinning smiley
Yes, they have anchors
Leor ('09S, North of Boston) - Saturday, 19 March, 2011, at 8:21:40 pm
Lloyd's mats come with a snap-together "belt buckle" system. The mat has two female plastic receptacles stitched to the underside nearest the driver/passenger. The pieces that plug into them are installed by sliding a clip along the floor of the cabin beneath the seats until they snap into place under there somehow (I don't remember what they attach to, but I've never had any problem, and I've done this for my previous '03S and my current '09S.) The result is a good solid connection flat on the floor under the mat. I don't think I've ever had the mats come loose or slide around. In fact, they're so snug as a bug in a rug under there that they're a bit of a pain to disconnect when I want to clean them and vacuum the car...
...discovered after two blocks that there were no mats at all! Turned around, let them restore the mats they had taken out to do the final detailing.

They were total POS's. (Well, maybe not TOTAL, because I found a board member willing to pay for shipping to have me ship them out to him, but definitely not up to my standards.)

Lloyd's are the way to go.
I love my Lloyds Mats
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Tuesday, 22 March, 2011, at 1:48:44 pm
I have had mine for about 5 years and they still look great on my daily driver.

The clips mount on the seat rail bolts and I haven't had any problem with slipping or movement.
Where is the cheapest place to buy?
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Tuesday, 22 March, 2011, at 8:40:41 pm
Automotion looked like the cheapest until I got to the $22 shipping charge. So far the cheapest all-in cost I have found is $191 at JC Whitney. It shouldn't matter much who you buy from (except price) since it appears they are all drop shiped from Lloyds.
mike
I was just reading the latest PCA email newsletter and there's a Lloyd's ad that says "PCA discount offered". Wish I knew that when I bought my last two sets, lol. Not sure how much you save, though. Didn't see the info on the page they link to.
Re: Lloyd's apparently offers a PCA discount
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Wednesday, 23 March, 2011, at 12:58:29 pm
I bought mine from EPIQ Autosport, but I don't think they're still around. It was started by a couple of PPBBers in So-Cal. Some of the older posters may remember EPICTodd aka TeutonicTrio
Re: Where is the cheapest place to buy?
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 23 March, 2011, at 1:21:25 pm
Today I looked at Automotion again and free shipping popped up this time (it was $22 yesterday). They offer a $10 coupon for first time customers. Not cheap but the best deal I could find - $171 for Luxe mats with Porsche embroidery.
mike
Speaking of Lloyd mats.
steve on hhi - Wednesday, 23 March, 2011, at 1:52:13 pm
A while back I ordered a set of front 996 mats, black with red trim and "Porsche" embroidered in the center. They sent me a set of tan w/ red lettering instead. They were quick to correct the mistake and told me to keep the tan ones. For the cost of shipping they’re available to a good home. First to PM me gets them.
Re: Speaking of Lloyd mats.
joeve - Wednesday, 23 March, 2011, at 3:11:45 pm
Steve
I would be interested in your mats if they are still available.

Joe
joseph_pace@hotmail.com
They're yours. NM *NM*
steve on hhi - Wednesday, 23 March, 2011, at 7:38:17 pm
I put Lloyd Mats in my 2000S the day I got it. They still look great and the clip system works to keep them perfectly in place. As a result, I've put Lloyd Mats in all my cars and my Mom's Lexus.
I've had the same expereince. I just need to be careful to remember to unclip the buckle when I go to a car wash, lest the attendant yank on the mat and break the buckle. Other than that, mine fit and look great.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login