Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hey Pedro
dak911 - 3 years ago
Quite a "Hair raising" story in the February KASSETTE... Glad you are "OK"?
So for those of us who don't get the Kassette, what's this "hair raising" thingamujigger?
[www.goldcoastregion.org]

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Hey Pedro
Indybox - 3 years ago
Wow ... that was a close one ... glad you're "OK".
Maybe the racing gods at Sebring are trying to tell you something? That reminds me of one of my favorite Herman cartoons where a fella is in hospital. He's in bed covered with bandages from head to toe and has multiple pulleys supporting various limbs. The nurse and doctor are bedside discussing his case and the doc says "He claims bull fighting is only thing that he's really good at!"
dak911 - 3 years ago
It AIN'T the RACING that'll kill ya', it's the XXXX that happens getting there and back...
Thanks for the link, Pedro. Very nice PCA publication.

You sure have adventures with your Boxster. This one was a doozy for sure. Just glad that you're OK.

So did the nurse write you an official letter to say you don't need to wear a helmet when racing? smiling smiley

Seems almost like a repeat of when you got your carbon fiber hood in the first place. I recall it happening on your way to BRBS, when a certain Boxster driver, who-shall-go-unnamed, ran over a road gator and flipped it onto your hood. Did that happen on I-75? Maybe it's I-75 that doesn't like your Boxster.
Gary in SoFL - 3 years ago
Sorry I wasn't there to block for you Pedro, but wonderful that you had a hard hood and a harder head. The scar may slow your budding TV commercial ad career. winking smiley

Just like high performance flying, low performance, summer only, Boxster cruising, and rally racing.....the aging process somethings gives us a slow down message.

Ignore it at your own peril winking smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Holy sh--!
JM-Stamford,CT - 3 years ago
That is quite the story. Several bad things happen all at once. Very lucky it was not worse.

I wonder whether the stock hood would have done the same. It might have had enough structure to avoid your head. Not something to test though. Maybe hood pins should be in the thought process.
The original metal hood would have killed me, no doubt.
Doing 75 mph when that opens, there's no stopping it.
As I stated in the article, the original hood would have taken out the windshield and would have cracked my skull.
The structure is identical on both carbon fibre and metal.
Hood pins would have prevented it, for sure.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
SMILIN - 3 years ago
wow! glad you’re ok!!!
grc0456 - 3 years ago
I already knew of this as Pedro told me, but still he was amazing lucky. I guess my brother wasn't kidding me when he told me that's why his '70 Boss 302 had hood pins.

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login