Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[youtu.be]

I can 'live' with that, or get a PDK cool smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
i remember the tall gears bugging me in my boxster. i always wondered if there was any place that could rebuild a transmission with shorter gears.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I'm surprised that Porsche hasn't come up with the PSSG (Porsche Short Second Gear) option. It could be a nice $3570 checkbox.
I never noticed second being "long" in my 986.
But perhaps that is more because of the limited comparisons I have/had.

Why do suggest the gear is too long?
[youtu.be]

I could be happy with either, but probably more happy with a loooong geared MANual, than a Looooong geared PDK.

Yes, there are expensive, after market, transmission gear replacement solutions for the "issue", but why?

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Gary in SoFL
Yes, there are expensive, after market, transmission gear replacement solutions for the "issue", but why?

JMstamford,ct
Why do suggest the gear is too long?

in my personal experience when driving on tight, mountain roads, second gear was most often what gear i went into curves in. first was far to low to shift down into let alone accelerate out of. coming out of the curve, the engine would then typically be at 2k RPM which was far too low to accelerate from. if 2nd would have been at 3500 RPM or so, it would have been much more fun. this is of course totally subjective.

--
Went out yesterday with some PCA buddies to run some of the twisties here in WNC. On the tightest, windiest roads, I left the car in 2nd gear and it had good range for the driving I was doing. When I wanted to ease off a bit, I left it in 3rd gear, and it also had great range on plenty of torque as long as I kept the revs above 3K. Car is 981 GTS.

CarreraLicious
Nice shot. Where is WNC though?

I'm going to guess that WNC is probably to the West of E North Carolina.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Odessa, FL)
CarreraLicious
Nice shot. Where is WNC though?

I'm going to guess that WNC is probably to the West of E North Carolina.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Ah, ok...odd. Have never seen that before....indicating a region of NC.
here are some examples from guenter's link to a video of someone driving a pcar over that pass in austria. this is what i mean by a tight curve in second. it sounds like the car is in 2nd coming out of those hairpins and it sounds to me like it's pretty low in the rev range.
as i mentioned, this is totally subjective and is only my opinion, not "fact."
these links go directly to the hairpins that i'm referring to:
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]
[youtu.be]
there are loads more but i just took some from the early part of the video.
just out of curiosity, are the roads and/or curves like this in WNC? there certainly aren't any roads even remotely close to this anywhere near where i live.
one big difference between the roads here and europe is that for the most part the roads here go through the valley floors whereas in europe there are so many roads that go over the mountains and through the passes. i have driven dozens and dozens of roads like the one in this video. top down on a warm summer day, sun on your face, the smells of nature, and of course that symphony in flat-six in your ears. i can't think of too many things that can be better than that.

--
Yes. There are some nice roads in WNC's Blue Ridge Mountains. If you check out Little Switzerland, NC.
[www.google.ca]

The Diamondback - NC 226A runs right by it. And, there are other roads like that in the Blue Ridge Mountains.

Here's part of the Diamondback, going downhill at this part. I had a friend driving behind me when I still had my 987.
[youtu.be]
35 MPH speed limit??? double yellow centerline? may as well drive a station wagon from the 60s through there.
the thing about the mountain roads in europe is that usually the limit is 80 KPH (50 MPH) but there's never anyone to stop you from going, um, a little bit faster. winking smiley
this is the Route Napoleon that goes from around Grenoble to Cannes. I've driven it a number of times. it's a blast. i'm not talking about going insane speeds and being reckless. i'm just talking about going fast enough to really enjoy your car.
here's a guy on youtube that is driving a Pcar on it. i've seen some of his yacht videos. he's captain and drives big yachts.
[youtu.be]

--
Here's a little video of the uphill, Rt. 226a section of the Diamondback in Little Switzerland taken by my friend, Anker, following me at BRBS a few years ago. Unfortunately, we got behind some slow moving two-wheelers (we even stopped a bit to let them get further ahead), but it does give you a feel for this nice, twisty route. One of the negatives of moving BRBS from Little Switzerland is not having this route literally right next to the venue.

[www.youtube.com]

Gary

2003 Boxster Base - Midnight Blue Metallic, Savanna Beige, Metropol Blue
that looks a little better!
but those double yellow lines are killer.

--
Watch harry's garage review of the Boxster GTS
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login