Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi guys, it's been a while since I posted, but I need opinions as to which tires to get for my 05S.

I know the general consensus is that Michelin Pilot Sports 4S are the "best" - I'm looking for a tire with less road noise than my current Sumitomo HTR Z III and has very good (a step below the Michelins) handling characteristics.

Advice would be appreciated.

TIA,

Ed from Long Island (Tampa)
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Re: Tires
BLKBOXS - 3 years ago
As you stated …"Michelin Pilot Sports 4S are the "best" "

It is the only thing between your car and the road, why not get the best?

I have a 2006 Boxster S and have never deviated from the Michelins.

I ride on Michelins on my Lexus because it is a family car.

My Honda that I drive back and forth to work gets whatever is on sale at the time. I feel the difference as I did have Michelins on this car in the past.

Michael Ellig

MIKELLIG
CarreraLicious - 3 years ago
Hey Ed, I have Bridgestone Potenzas on my 997, and like them a lot. Hope you are doing well down there in FL!
I love the top-tier Korean tires: Kumho and Hankook.
They are great summer tires and better in the rain (that we get so much of in Tampa during the summer) than just about any other brand, and yet they cost a lot less than the N-rated.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I've had good experience with Continental Extreme contact sport tires. They compare well with traction and ride to the Michelins and get lots of good reviews online. I have pushed them quite a bit and then can handle spirited driving with no problems.
Black Knight
I've had good experience with Continental Extreme contact sport tires. They compare well with traction and ride to the Michelins and get lots of good reviews online. I have pushed them quite a bit and then can handle spirited driving with no problems.

+1. An excellent summer tire that can handle the cooler weather in spring and fall. Smooth ride, lots of grip and wet weather traction is great.
Having said that, I just put Michelin A/S 4 tires on a Mustang and that would be a consideration going forward if they made it in 981 19" sizes.
Firmer side wall than the Conti, excellent grip, quiet and are rate for cold temps/light snow.
the feedback! smileys with beer

05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
... don't forget to use the TireRack link above.
PB gets a small donation to help us keep going and it doesn't cost the buyer anything.
You still get any and all of the discounts available.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
They were much less noisy that the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S that were previously on the car. They have been on the car for a year or more, so this might be the newer version, but you get the idea. Now in Tampa, I do not know about the all season needs, but I drive in the winter in CT so they work really well. I do not drive in snow though. Either way, I found most other tires too hard in the winter or too soft in the summer. These seem much more well balanced.

[www.tirerack.com]
I have been very happy with them (grip, noise, relative comfort for 18"). But, I only get about 12K out of them (rears) and 24K (fronts). This time I replaced the rears with Kumho Ecsta. I have 4K on them now and they are very comparable to the SO4s, but at a lower price. 2000 Boxster S.
Rev Dennis - 3 years ago
Hello from a fellow ESBBer! I like the Tampa area, particularly Treasure Island and Sunset Beach - nice move.
05S Cobalt/Blue/Blue
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login