Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
When I went "shopping" recently I came to the conclusion that the prices on low mileage one owner SUPER NICE, 2013 to 2015 Boxster is holding up well.
The least expensive ones that I saw, Base non S, were in the $ 32,000 to $39,000 range ( Panorama advertisers ask 20% more)...these are 8 year old $ 50000/ $60,000 cars.
Yes, that's the ask. Have you seen any closed sales to confirm?

Andrew
Great question
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
The listing prices are most reflective of the seller's belief of the car's worth and less of the actual value. For example, people who have replaced their IMS bearing mistakenly believe that the internet community is representative of the general Porsche buying public and overprice their cars, not realizing that bearing replacement makes little to no difference to most people.
I don't agree with the assessment that a replaced IMS doesn't bring value to a used Boxster.
In my experience it does.
When I do a PPI and point out that the particular car has a particular IMS Bearing Kit installed and that the value should be adjusted upwards by $X.XX the buyers almost never complain or argue with it.
I also tell people that installing a quality IMS Bearing Kit in one of these cars is like redoing your kitchen or bathroom.
You get to enjoy the renovation and if you sell it there's a value-add that you get back.
With the IMS I calculate 50% costs recoup if sold within 4 years of installing.
I also must point out that some specific IMS Kits (IMNSHO) detract from the value of the vehicle because they present a clear and present danger either because of the quality or lack thereof or because of a lackluster install.
YMMV.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Great question
db997S - 3 years ago
Agree. Once Porsche designed the IMS out of their engines, I immediately began looking for a new one.
Any of the PORSCHES that have NOT had the upgraded IMS BEARING INSTALLED definitely ARE at a DISADVANTAGE to a KNOWLEDGEABLE BUYER.
BUT, there are still some would be buyers who are unaware of the POTENTIAL problem. (Still about 10%?)
I don't question
Boxsterra - 3 years ago
that people who are worried about IMS bearing failure are willing to pay more. I do however question that that constitutes anything but a negligible percentage of the Porsche buying community, most of whom aren't on the internet forums. A lot of people are. Most aren't.
Boxsterra
that people who are worried about IMS bearing failure are willing to pay more. I do however question that that constitutes anything but a negligible percentage of the Porsche buying community, most of whom aren't on the internet forums. A lot of people are. Most aren't.

I don't disagree with that.
Happy Boxstring,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

It's hard to get people to "tell the truth" about what they paid or what they sold the car for...
I know I paid top dollar for the 2013 Base just bought, but the car was so nice that I was not going to let it get away....
When I sell it ( do you know me?) It will bring top dollar again..and since the 2013's are the first of the "current" style they will bring good resale...
What's next ??
And, you are right about the replaced IMS's, right now someone looking for a "cheap" Boxster doesn't have a clue about the "perhaps" problem, it's only "us"
The following is MY opinion...
Used Boxster, especially post IMS, Boxster prices will most likely hold steady and then go up. Even IMS models, especially retrofitted 986 and 987’s built with the updated bearing will most likely hold value long term. My reason for thinking this is the coming switch to electric cars. The simple fact is ICE cars are headed to way of the dodo bird. While I’m sure the there will be/are some “fun” cars, the days of being able to buy a car that has a great flat 6 sound and 3 pedals are rapidly coming to a close. A good friend of mine, a Cayman owner, agrees with me. We’ve discussed that if there is a particular ICE car you do/have wanted now is the time to get it. They won’t be around much longer and those that remain will ultimately get very pricey.
To illustrate my point I point that to the best selling roadster of all times, the Miata. Clean well maintained 1st generation NA Miatas, especially special edition models, are selling for close to the original selling price when you factor 1990 MSRP in today’s dollars.

Paralizer 06 Boxster S Atlas Grey/Black/Black
I think the Electric car change over (if at all) is still a long way off to be "saving" Boxsters
... Porsche is hard at work in keeping our ICE cars very relevant for many years to come.
Read my latest tech article:
[pedrosgarage.com]
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Yup, they are developing synthetic fuels that are as clean or cleaner than electric.
db997S
Yup, they are developing synthetic fuels that are as clean or cleaner than electric.

but we haven't heard anything about what those fuels will cost. my guess is that it will be incredibly expensive otherwise we would be going down that road. it will be a very difficult task to produce a fuel with the energy density of gasoline.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
A large proportion of car manufacturers are charging into electric car development. But, buyers don't seem to be sharing in that enthusiasm. Yes electric car sales are rising, but not anywhere near the pace of new EV's that seem to be in the works.

In addition, there's going to have to be a lot of planning and development of sources for electricity and charging stations to keep the EV's powered up.

ICE engines will remain relevant for some time yet.
Guenter in Ontario
A large proportion of car manufacturers are charging into electric car development. But, buyers don't seem to be sharing in that enthusiasm. Yes electric car sales are rising, but not anywhere near the pace of new EV's that seem to be in the works.

i would guess that a lot of people don't want to buy an electric car yet are similar to mine;
- much more expensive than an equivalent ICE vehicle
- charging still a hassle being too slow and inconvenient

i just saw a youtube video in which a guy talked about driving his new Ford MachE Mustang from LA (or somewhere in california) to somewhere closer to the east coast. he said he spent 50-something, close to 60 hours charging the car!!! compare that to an ICE. even if you needed 4 tanks, or 5 or 6, you'll need 30 minutes tops if you're really slow. i'm just not ready for that kind of devotion yet.

another thing is that when a faster to charge and cheaper per kWh technology comes, all these Li Ion powered cars will lose most of their value overnight.

sell me a similar vehicle to what i have for a similar price and let me fill the tank in a similar amount of time with a similar convenience and i'll buy it.

--
This attitude ("I'm just not ready for that kind of devotion yet") is very understandable. We grew up worshiping noise, smoke and petrol. But YET is the key word! You don't have to be a "climate hero", but the automakers have totally signed on. So "pretty soon" (i.e. perhaps 10 or 20 years) you will have a hard time finding a gas station. And "pretty soon", charging will add as many miles per minute at the station as you get now. And... OMG the electric torque, the ease of driving... This is a transition that is really coming. Yes, you can hang on to the ICE, but it is really the last and best of the Dodos. There is so much harm that is being done by changing the radiation balance of Earth. Driving a Taycan or Mach-E or other electric can change your attitude. My '05 Boxster sits in the garage for far more time than it used to.
TheFarmer
This attitude ("I'm just not ready for that kind of devotion yet") is very understandable. We grew up worshiping noise, smoke and petrol. But YET is the key word! You don't have to be a "climate hero", but the automakers have totally signed on. So "pretty soon" (i.e. perhaps 10 or 20 years) you will have a hard time finding a gas station. And "pretty soon", charging will add as many miles per minute at the station as you get now. And... OMG the electric torque, the ease of driving... This is a transition that is really coming. Yes, you can hang on to the ICE, but it is really the last and best of the Dodos. There is so much harm that is being done by changing the radiation balance of Earth. Driving a Taycan or Mach-E or other electric can change your attitude. My '05 Boxster sits in the garage for far more time than it used to.

in 10 to 20 years i may not even be looking for a gas station since i may not even be driving anymore! who knows. hopefully by then we'll have fully self driving cars.

i've driven a friend's tesla model S and yes, the torque is amazing. a completely different driving experience in so many ways and i could adapt to it no problem. i plan on taking a Mach E for a test drive as soon as they're in the dealers here. and my cousin has a taycan that i'm sure i'll get to drive once the borders open and i can make it down to LA.

worshipping noise, smoke, and petrol is right. i think for many boys who became of driving age in the '70s it ran through our veins. but i do think that time is coming to an end and i'm not against it. don't get me wrong, i would gladly buy and drive a BEV if it worked for me but the hurdles are still just a little bit high for my situation and i'm not one to jump on a trend just for the sake of being trendy. i think i make decisions based on facts rather than emotions. i would guess that my next car has a pretty decent chance of being electric.

--
To the original poster I offer my apologies as it was not my intent to hijack this thread… The reality of the situation, IMHO, is driven by the fact that between the EU, countries in the Nordic area, and even some states in the US have made the decision that you will no longer be able to sell ICE cars in the very near future. So, whether we like it or not, the days of the ICE are coming to an end.

All of this leads me back to my original point… The truly great sports cars, not just Porsches, will become much more valuable. So with that in mind, if you don’t have what you want now, buy it soon.

Paralizer 06 Boxster S Atlas Grey/Black/Black

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2021 11:03PM by Paralizer. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login