Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
I've got my eye on a new 718 Boxster GTS with PDK (highly optioned), but I own a 2013 Boxster S with manual.

What do you think? How big an upgrade is the GTS to the 981S?

Also, if I negotiate a trade, what kind of discount should I expect (if any) on a GTS?

What about trade-in value for my 981S? Stock car, no mods. Excellent mechanical condition/minor cosmetic issues typical of a car with 43,000 miles. Black on black. Heated/cooled 2-way seats, Bose, sport steering wheel, 20" wheels. No Sport Chrono or Sport Exhaust (dang it).

Any and all insights appreciated!
PDK would be a non starter for me. Good luck in your decision though.
I hear you. Would probably miss the manual and might be reason enough to take a pass. Then again, I've driven PDK and they're different, but still fun.
Unless a family member owns a Porsche dealership, MSRP is about the best you will do. If it's in stock, not ordered, you might get a bit off.

The 4.0 GTS is a spectacular car....good luck!

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Seems that's true. The big question remains: What's a 981 S worth these days? Values rising, I should think.
Have you driven the 718 GTS? Ultimately, you're spending the $$$. Do YOU like the 718 GTS more than your 981 S. What do YOU think makes it worth giving up your 981 S?

Everyone has different priorities in what's important to really enjoy driving a car.

If I were in the market for a new Porsche, the Boxster GTS 4.0 is the only Porsche that I would want. But, I'm lucky enough to own a 981S ordered exactly the way I want and wouldn't trade it for a new GTS 4.0. But that's according to my preferences as to what's important.

Good luck in your decision making.
No I have not driven a GTS so good question and a slight concern. IMHO, I have watched enough YouTube videos to get a pretty good sense of what this car, and what it isn't.

My biggest hangup is the PDK but I could certainly live with it (oh the travails of First World compromise!). Quicker car/better fuel efficiency. I have driven a couple of PDK cars--'18 Carrera S coupe (gorgeous and appealing but extremely noisy and where's the drop top?) and a '15 Macan S (would love to have one but only as a supplement to my sports car). Not sure I'd choose the 18-way seats either, but I've sat in those in other vehicles and they're certainly comfortable enough.

This will probably come down to the dealer's trade-in offer. Better be a darned good one or the decision to walk away will be easy.
Normally aspirated engines will not be around much longer, nor will manual transmissions. Who, EVER uses ALL the power of the 986, 981, 718 grinning smiley

Being happy with a 981 with lots of miles is fine, but may be short sighted. What will be that cars replacement? Better enjoy an automatic with a big battery.

I suggest you make the deal contingent on paying no more than MSRP, and getting no less than $38K for your trade. Post the link to the new car. Good luck!!

The 4.0 GTS is spectacular!

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
As the owner of a 2016 981 GTS, the GTS 4.0 is the only car in the Porsche lineup that is the least bit tempting. However I decided that trading up from 330 HP to 390 HP was not worth the extra cost. I decided to hang onto my special ordered GTS. I read a recent review of the 4.0 that mentioned there is no way to use all that power on the street. Do you plan to track the car at all?

981 prices are holding up pretty well, but realize that the dealer will be buying the trade in at wholesale. If your trade is nice you could sell it yourself.
jg wnc
I read a recent review of the 4.0 that mentioned there is no way to use all that power on the street. Do you plan to track the car at all?

981 prices are holding up pretty well, but realize that the dealer will be buying the trade in at wholesale. If your trade is nice you could sell it yourself.

I'd guess from prices I've seen on the internet that a 2013 BS should sell in the $40-50K range, depending on options and mileage.

Regarding the 718 GTS, it sounds like a heck of a car, but if you're not tracking it you'll be hard pressed to use all the power of the 4.0 motor on the street.
200hp in my ‘98 was enough for the street…99% of the time

330hp in my ‘16 was too much for the street…99% of the time

414hp…i hope to let you know in a few months smiling smiley

…should be about right…until some 918 inspired model with 500 dino-powered is available for the right price!
Dealer just offered $38,000.
let’s say 30-35 for your S, and full msrp for the new car. whatchyagonnado?

i don’t know trade in values, but carmax, and several internet dealers will give you a price without much work.
$38,000 offer slightly better than expected but not sure that's guaranteed. Dealer has not seen my car, nor me theirs. Only have my description and probably Carfax. Sweat trickling down neck right now.
i assume the GTS 4.0 is on the floor. Wipe the sweat and go see it. Bring your checkbook! smiling smiley Good luck.

The upgrade makes no financial sense whatsoever. But you already knew that. The 981 S is a great car to keep forever, so it's hard to lose.
Welp, after further "discussions" with my spouse (she loves the S for short-term drives but otherwise feels its uncomfortable), I have notified the dealership that I am too conflicted to pull the trigger. PDK a factor in this, as are the 18-way seats. Right car, right price ... it's surely out there, somewhere, possibly even in 911 form.
Kinnick4Ever
Welp, after further "discussions" with my spouse (she loves the S for short-term drives but otherwise feels its uncomfortable), I have notified the dealership that I am too conflicted to pull the trigger. PDK a factor in this, as are the 18-way seats. Right car, right price ... it's surely out there, somewhere, possibly even in 911 form.

You could always come over the “dark side” like me and get more room to recline for longer trips or have kids in the back. smiling smiley Haven’t regretted my decision even though I loved my Boxster at the time too.

SMILIN
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Yes! grinning smiley
If part of your enjoyment is driving a Manual gearbox, I would hold off on the PDK...you know that they make the GTS is Manual as well!

MIKELLIG
I do indeed and if ordering from scratch, that would be my choice.
By the way, thanks everyone!
Gary in SoFL
Who, EVER uses ALL the power of the 986, 981, 718 grinning smiley

is that a serious question? i used ALL the power in my MY2000 Boxster S extremely often and was clambering for more!

Kinnick4Ever

if you're going to have to pay MSRP then why wouldn't you order a car exactly the way you want it?

if you're not hot on the PDK, don't buy it! If i were blowing that big a wad of cash on a car, it would need to be absolutely perfect.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/08/2021 12:39AM by frogster. (view changes)
frogster
Gary in SoFL

is that a serious question? i used ALL the power in my MY2000 Boxster S extremely often and was clambering for more!

Kinnick4Ever

if you're going to have to pay MSRP then why wouldn't you order a car exactly the way you want it?

if you're not hot on the PDK, don't buy it! If i were blowing that big a wad of cash on a car, it would need to be absolutely perfect.

Agree with your points. I always felt a weakness of my 986 was that it was underpowered. They fixed that in the later models. And if the OP wasn’t really crazy about PDK then don’t even consider it. I can see compromising on a daily, but you have to get the weekend sports car exactly the way you want.
frogster
Gary in SoFL

Kinnick4Ever

NO, not for most..... smileys with beer winking smiley

frogster
Gary in SoFL

Kinnick4Ever

I totally agree, Frogster. It all depends on where and how you drive. You might not need all the power of a 986 in the mountains of Florida, but places like Switzerland, Blue Ridge Mountains and Rockies is another story.smiling smiley

And +1 on ordering a car exactly the way you want it. Specially if you're paying MSRP. If you're just buying the car to drive around and look cool in, the options probably don't matter that much. But, if you really enjoy the act of driving, including shifting your own gears, to me it's too much of a sacrifice, specially if you have a option of getting the car exactly the way you want it. It might be a bit of a wait to get it, but it will be totally worth it. At least it has been in my experience.
Not certain where you live, but shop around. I've brought three Porsches, only one has been from my local dealer, the other two, from out of state. I'm on the east coast, so lots of dealers to contact. Porsche does these limited editions to increase demand when a model year starts to get a bit long in the tooth. There are enough buyers who wait for these models to come out, and with limited demand, well, you get the picture.
Ordering one from scratch makes great sense but doing so now is nigh impossible. Sigh.
Kinnick4Ever
Ordering one from scratch makes great sense but doing so now is nigh impossible. Sigh.

are you saying that the dealers aren't taking orders?

--
frogster
Kinnick4Ever

Many of them are more than happy to take your order and your deposit, but very few of them have actual allocations and commission numbers, in hand.Covid induced short supply, and inability to obtain needed chips.

Buyer beware!

--
Gary in SoFL
frogster
Kinnick4Ever

Many of them are more than happy to take your order and your deposit, but very few of them have actual allocations and commission numbers, in hand.Covid induced short supply, and inability to obtain needed chips.

Buyer beware!

Very true.
Had a similar experience when we were shopping for our current 981 in 2012. A dealer a few hundred miles away offered a bigger discount and higher number on the trade ( which he wanted right away), but couldn't pin down the build date or when we'd see it. Went back to the local dealer with what I had and they matched the deal along with showing in house paper work on their allocation to be built in 6 weeks. Did the deal and the car showed up on schedule.

Fast forward to 2021--the same thing seems to be happening with the C8 Corvette. Customer demand is high, but supplier shortages are trimming output, creating a perfect storm for some dealers to sell the available cars at prices way over MSRP.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login