Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I sure hope the 718s don't go full electric. That would be very disappointing. It would be nice if they kept the 718s with an ICE and created a new electric sports car. I see two major problems of electrifying the 718.

1. Weight. Unless there's a breakthrough in battery tech, I don't see how an electric car can weigh any where near as close to what it weighs now. The 718 weighs roughly 3,100 pounds? Add batteries to that thing and it's going to weigh over 4,000 pounds.

2. Mimicking the mid-engine balance.
the second gen tesla roadster will likely weigh over 4000 lbs and it will supposedly do 0-60 mph in 1.9 sec.

actually i think a roadster will feel very much like a mid-engined car. the battery pack, which is where a lot of weight is, will be situated in the floor pan so super low. the electric motors on EVs are very small and light compared to the boxster's flat 6. no radiators, no fuel tank, transmission, etc.

believe me, i'm not looking forward to the electric car future but on a purely technical, vs emotional level, they will most likely be pretty good.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I love my Boxster ('05 987) almost as much as I love my Chevy Volt ('18). Electric is the way to go: such great torque from the start, such strong acceleration if and when you want it. The Volt eliminates range anxiety, but is alas, bing sent to the dust bin of history. It is a race for charge rate (50, 100, 500, 600, 800 MPH) and we are in the early stages. An electric Boxster would be perfect, but would pose problems for this Board - no more extended discussions of exact oil recommendations and IMS etc., but we would all love those cars. The times they are a changing'! (If you want to cavil, I think there is room for discussion of rare earth mineral mining and associated environmental issues)
Aren't you comparing apples to oranges to bananas?

Chevy Volt isn't an EV is it? It's a Hybrid. EV range is about 50 miles. Without ICE intervention, it would limit me to trips around our neighborhood. So not sure how that compares to a possible future E-Boxster and range anxiety.confused smiley

I agree that EV acceleration is great. But what about the handling of a 4000 - 4500 lb. Vehicle? What about the connection between man and machine. Then there's the sound. Formula E cars have all the thrill of getting a root canal at the dentist.
Guenter in Ontario
Without ICE intervention, it would limit me to trips around our neighborhood.

and in the winter, it would have to be a very small neighborhood!

Guenter in Ontario
Then there's the sound. Formula E cars have all the thrill of getting a root canal at the dentist.

i think the root canal would be way more thrilling.

--
For those who love formual E, they'll be able to visit the dentist's office in the off season to enjoy the same sound.

[youtu.be]
...thus making it unable to enjoy the journey, especially when using arguments than don't even apply to the person resisting, i.e., 'old curmudgeon' grinning smiley

"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
how about "Moldy Fig?" spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

--
"A mile of highway will take you one mile. A mile of runway will take you anywhere."
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login