Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
When I started my car today it had a slow crank and then when it fired up there was a terrible noise, very loud lifter clatter for several seconds followed by a big puff of blue smoke. The noise only lasted for a few seconds then the idle smoothed out and no discernible issues while driving. The car had been parked for a month while I was out of town. During that time a friend swung by and replaced the brake pad sensors. He stated that when he started the car to confirm that there were no issues with the sensors it started without problem. Any theories as to what may have happened? FYI the car has 160k miles.

Paralizer 06 Boxster S Atlas Grey/Black/Black
The lifter clatter (if that) at startup seems a bit like a problem my car had on each side over a span of a couple years, namely two finally failed "valve lift solenoid(s)" or some such.
However, too many of your car's symptoms were different. My imagined scenario is that perhaps the battery has become marginal, (no maintainer?) and the slow cranking didn't create enough initial lifter pressure, hence, the clatter. The blue smoke, which would be oil, could be the horizontal layout allowing oil to get past the rings after sitting for so long.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2021 12:42PM by Laz. (view changes)
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks for the thoughts, seems to be doing ok now. Battery might be getting time to replace as there’s a bit of hesitation on cranking.

Paralizer 06 Boxster S Atlas Grey/Black/Black
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login