Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
These electric cars do nothing for me at all.
my guess is that it will be prohibitively expensive. you just can't get the energy density of gasoline that easily. if we could, then we would have done it already. the problem is those pesky laws of physics.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
let's see--the 2025 718 will:
-Weight 3659 lbs
-One speed tranny
-Have an estimated 250 mile range
-Retain the folding cloth top
-Produce no natural exhaust noise

Performance figures are unknown as is the price.

I haven't read anything yet about it that would make me get one, even on a straight trade.
That would have a higher energy content than traditional gasoline. It will still be expensive to make, and will require tax breaks to be competitive head to head in the current market.
But the market is likely to change in the near future. e gas might prove to be the only solution.

Further, once economies of scale kick in, the price will come down some. No matter what, it will likely be better that electric as currently supplied.

To be clear, I am no expert on stoichiometry, chemistry or physics and never will be.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/23/2021 06:31PM by JM-Stamford,CT. (view changes)
i found this article that seems pretty straightforward.

[theicct.org]

"To produce e-fuels, electricity, preferably renewable, is used to split water into hydrogen and oxygen. The hydrogen is then combined with carbon dioxide to make drop-in hydrocarbons like diesel, gas (methane), or jet fuel. While e-fuels can be very low-carbon if made from new, additional renewable electricity, they can’t be low-cost at the same time. The e-fuels production process is inherently inefficient, converting at best half of the energy in the electricity into liquid or gaseous fuels. Even though wind and solar electricity costs are coming down over time, power still costs something, and that cost is essentially magnified by the low yield of e-fuels production."

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
I love the instant torque of my electric, and would jump fast to get an electric Boxster. The climate is really, really in trouble.

Three pedals (like I have) is for people who are trying to live in an olden age, (like me), but we don't need more guzzlers now. Not if you have kids.
Electric cars with good power are _really_ fun to drive. The instant torque gives you great control. The electric Boxster will be fun to drive, I'm sure of it. But obviously you give up some things go get other things.

For people with home charging, every day starts with full range so range concerns are only a thing on the rare days where you go long distances.
Boxsterra
Electric cars with good power are _really_ fun to drive. The instant torque gives you great control. The electric Boxster will be fun to drive, I'm sure of it. But obviously you give up some things go get other things.

For people with home charging, every day starts with full range so range concerns are only a thing on the rare days where you go long distances.

For many, EVs will be a second car for local use. Already there is market stratification beginning to happen at 200 and 300+ mile range points with the former being lighter and cheaper. The challenge is the multiplicity of charger types with Tesla having one standard, Porsche another, Kia still another etc. How long will it take before the "find me a charger" app in every car finds the standard charger. What will the government subsidize and standardize on or even will they subsidize or standardize.

I figure I'm about 5 years away from an EV as my next and hoping for some advances and standardization or at least added directional clarity by then.

Drop in to your local dealer and take one for a spin. It is jaw dropping.
Glad they’re at least gonna continue making the 911 with gas powered engines. Hope they still offer them in manual too. I’m ok with going electric but only as a commuter car. For a weekend fun car, it’s gotta be an ICE with three pedals for me.
No smoke at startup, silent running, and instant torque...all the joys of a Boxster AND fewer parts to maintain.BONUS!!!
LOL...we are talking about Porsches. When is price ever a part of the calculus? Those concerned with cost would have bought a Corvette :-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/03/2021 02:04PM by RainyDayGarage. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login