Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Hey Folks - For my 2000 Boxster, I have always been using the Mobil 1 0W-40 (5 quart bottle - just showing this link as it was all i could find that looked the same) like this ->
[www.pepboys.com]

Recently was looking to buy some more oil and noticed the label looks different now -> [www.walmart.com]

The one I was used to buying specifically mentions "Approved for most Mercedes-Benz, BMW, VW, Audi, & Porsche" --- but the new one doesn't call that out.

Are they the same? Anyone know?
Thanks
seem to be the same. the walmart bottle does list A40/porsche on the back. that’s what i buy for my 981.

for your amusement, i use 15w-50 mobil 1 “regular” full syn in my 151k mile 986…just because it’s all i ever used. if i move to 0w-40 euro, i’m afraid i’ll spring a dozen leaks. valid concern? fyi, i’m in sacramento area…hot summers, low of 32 winters…1-2k miles per year/oil change.
thanks SMILIN - i noticed that too later when i read the back of the new bottles and just went ahead and bought that. Hopefully it is "accepted" by the car. I'm sure there are others that can answer on that question about the grades - I don't know about that.
As I was told - and not independently confirmed - there was a modest recent formulation change in order to meet a heightened EU standard. That change will not have an effect on older cars at all.
I suspect the OEM's must now "recommend" only the new formulation, not the older, so the label had to change?

But that is a guess on multiple fronts as I know nothing at all re: Mobil.
They were replacing the 0W40 "European car formula" with 5W40 "same" (which for me is a good thing). The real key is to look for Porsche A40 on the back. Or of course, don; worry about it since a significant part of most approvals is paying a fee, filling out paperwork, and going through testing that you have already completed for someone else.

The 0W40 was always shaky on the HTHS test that is the core of ACEA A3, presumably due to its wide viscosity range and thin base number. Street drive car - meh. Track driven cars - meaningful.

But the key is A40. If you want PM/email me and I can send oyu a presentation on A40 from BT lubricants research labs

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
it's got the A40 on the back, thanks Grant
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login