Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
As most of you know, my car's odometer is at 299,800
It's been there for a while because I decided to retire her from track duty and give her a complete makeover.
And I mean complete:
• Exterior Paint
• Interior carpet rejuvenation
• New custom upholstery (seats, doors and dash)
• New CF hood
• New convertible top ...
... among other minor things, such as re-alignment and raising the ride height 19mm.
The only thing I really need and have not been able to find (I've looked for 1 year plus) is a very nice set of headlight assemblies.
If any one of you have a set for sale or know of one, please let me know ASAP.
I need the halogen version. I would prefer the '97-'02 "fried egg" but I would happily purchase the clear '03-'04 version as well.
Hope to hear from one or more of you soon.
As soon as she's ready I'll take her on a long drive got nowhere till we hit 300,000!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
i knew i should have stocked up when suncoast had the new litronic sets on sale…in 1999 smiling smiley

excited to hear when you flip 300k!
to your finished product. Why the ride height increase/ was it really slammed?

Did you replace it with something else for the track?

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
... the PSS9s I really lowered it.
Now it's harder to get in and out on a regular basis and the front nose scrapes on the smallest inclines.
Besides, my wife said that she ain't riding in it if I leave it like that.
That settles it.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

make it so #1 :-)
grant - 2 years ago
I have PSS9s in my track rat (2000 S). I actually find it quite acceptable on all but the worst roads.
I am even thinking of further stiffening it.

I'm also not sure that the adjust ability in PSS9s is a good thing overall. I believe it gives many wrong possibilities ....

Grant

You could think of it as good and better settings.winking smiley I have PSS9's and I was taking notes on the setting at each corner, type of track, temp, time of day... then I realized I am not a full time racer so I said just enjoy the track day. I came with some good settings and just stuck with it.
... the bumpier the track, the higher (softer rebound) the setting.
The smoother the track, the lower (stiffer rebound) the setting.
Sebring is the bumpiest track ....... setting: 10 rear, 5 front.
Homestead is the smoothest ........ setting: 1 rear, 5 front.
These work for me.
Other tracks are in-between and I compare to either one of my base tracks to set a new rebound.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Pedro-
That surprises me. At least for dynamic conditions that means you are going between a loose and tight setting - transferring dynamic weight to the front more and less.

You don't find that an issue?

What i have fund, and shock dyno tests support this - is that the setting son PSS9s are so variable that you don't really know where they are. Left and right may be different, etc unless they are full hard or full soft. Now, to be fair you do that for the rear, but apparently leave the front in the middle?

A bit confused.

Grant

Grant

I've found that the problem with the mid-engined platforms is getting the power down on the ground without having the rear end jumping when the track is bouncy.
So I set the shocks as soft as I can to keep the rear tires on the ground as much as possible.
On very smooth tracks full hard works well for the rear.
The reason I leave the fronts on 5 (mid setting) is that I love to come into turns hotter than the car next to me.
Because I come in hot, turns would be cooked except that I jab the brakes (left-foot), while under power to make the car's nose dive a bit and give me that extra bit of traction so I can make the turn.
I'm not sure, but I think Max Verstappen copied my style yesterday, at least on the last lap. smileys with beer
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

I generally find that "stiff" is mistakenly associated with "good handling".
As a buddy (and PCA member) who is Pirelli's on-site race engineer says "let the suspension do its job".
Too often reduced roll is associated with reduced weight transfer, which as you know, is not true.

So i have no issue with softer.

It was the front/rear balance that surprised me. reading your reply, i get it - but its very driving dependent and (to me) your suggestion is not appropriate for most.

( I may try it however)

One problem with most adjustable struts is that their curves are inconsistent - you really have no idea what setting you are getting, unit to unit.

Grant

Grant

Hmmm. I have tried to post three times and been told its a duplicate and not allowed. Yet my post does not show.

G

Grant

grant
Hmmm. I have tried to post three times and been told its a duplicate and not allowed. Yet my post does not show.

G

Grant, for some reason your message needed approval. i don't see anything obvious that flagged that post. it's automated by the forum software.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
It is the standard version (non-litronic) with the amber triangle. It is in immaculate condition. From my '00 S. I can email a pic.

PM mail me if you are interested.

I also have a pair of rear taillights with the amber lens. They are also in immaculate condition.
I have two which I replaced new. one side is clear and the other has yellowing. This is off a base 2000. send me an email/message as well.

Andrew
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login