Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I was at the dealer yesterday test driving a new Macan for my wife and was amazed to discover a 'market adjustment' applied to... almost everything in stock: $2k on 718 Boxster S, $5k on Macans, $40k on a Targa! Sure, I get it's just 'supply and demand' / 'whatever the market will bear' but I'm amazed Porsche contracts don't prohibit such brazen and shameless profiteering, especially from a brand that almost never has sales or discounts to protect margins. Even though they had at least 5 Macan's on the lot all were marked up by almost 8% over MSRP.

Needless to say we'll stick with our current grocery getter rather than succumb to such flagrant abuse. Hmmph.
You are correct, PCNA does not allow such things, or at least it didn't back in the late '90s when the newly introduced Boxster had 6-month wait lists. Where are you located? Current car environment is to pay MSRP due to supply chain issues with electronics. I'd suggest doing some online shopping if you have other dealers close at hand. I purchased two of my three Porsches in my life time from out-of-state dealers. The second I had a trade. Both went unbelievably well. Back in 2009, dealers in my area (D.C.) were not "dealing" on price. So, I sent emails from Southern VA all the way to southern, CT, where my mother happens to live. The CT dealer wanted to unload a car on the lot (got it for 27% off MSRP in Nov. 2009 for a 2009 model). All paperwork done by FedEx (before the days of electronic signatures). Even pre-registered the new car with VA DMV because I technically purchased it. Drove up in my Boxster with new registration, swapped plates, gave them my old Boxster, stayed at my mom's house and drove back home the next day (5 1/2 hours). It was easy as can be. Even easier now because you can check inventory on dealer websites. Again, you will more than likely have to pay MSRP, but it will save you 8%, if you want to look at it that way. Good luck, don't take no for an answer, if you do, on to the next dealer.
It might be an interesting question to ask Porsche USA.
[www.porsche.com]

This past summer (2021), I spoke to the Sales manager at the Canadian dealership where I bought my Boxster. He said that despite the car shortage, Porsche does not allow them to sell cars for more than MSRP.
My local dealer will sell at no ADM/adjustment. But you will wait and wait. I see used cars with few miles at huge premiums. I don't know how many handle the obvious - how to get even more on new cars. I do know that dealers have been under pressure to make sales (and/or presumably profits) despite the shortage due to the costs associated with their fixed cost infrastructure.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Looked to replace our existing car with new or used.

New, the dealers were charging 20-35% over MSRP. And they flat out stated that is what they were doing.
In discussion, the salesman said they were selling so few cars, they needed to meet the profits required to keep the doors open.
And BTW, all but one dealer was doing it and all within the range.

As for used, they were charging the equivalent of new MSRP for used, non-certified, 50K mile cars. If you wanted to cert, pay $2000 (depending on extent of coverage bumper to bumper vs drive train)

We did not buy either. Our old 135K mile car is getting a $2500 transmission. So between the trans and the new tires, I will have invested appx $4000 in a $2800 SUV this year.
You do what you have to do.

I am happy we did not total the car, that would have been a problem and we would have had no choice. I suspect that is the only car buyers at this point. But who knows?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login