Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
New gaskets for the headlights!
1997 Boxster

Just pick up a set of these Headlamp seal
Pop the headlamp assembly out (see youtube videos) Use tool in toolkit or 5MM socket
clean our old seal and install new seal
Reverse the process to put the lamp assemble back in.

PS Extra maintenance idea while the lamp is out: Replace the H7 55W bulbs.
My next project!
Anybody used this before?
i’ve used a few easy-to-find brands and they all seem to work well. the magic is in the UV/seal treatment at the end (make sure your kit includes). the lenses really polish up well using any plastic polish. i use my dual action random orbital every couple of years. i used sandpaper once. pretty forgiving and easy to get great results.
Yep. the kit I'm getting has that as the final step inb the process...wish me luck
Ta da!!
BoxsterJim - 2 years ago
Finished the 25 year lens restoration!
Pretty slick:

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/2022 07:08PM by BoxsterJim. (view changes)
Wow! Looks like new.
Re: Ta da!!
BoxsterJim - 2 years ago
Yep. Scroll up to my first post and you can see the "before" yellowing.
Well worth $25 for the kit. It took about an hour to do.
Re: Ta da!!
SMILIN - 2 years ago
very nice!

my headlight trim is supposed to arrive tomorrow… so exciting! smiling smiley

then, oil change. then, replacing the 8 year old tires. then, repairing the poor paint chip repair. then, heck, not sure, but i know there’s more.
So my original Boxster is now 18 years old, so a bit behind you, but i fully expect to have it in another 10 years.

The only thing i wish i could do, but is simply not worth the trouble, is to replace the perished dust boots on my struts. Struts are very strong (M030) - so removal, replace, re-align would be for $25 worth of plastic. Probably a pass. Sigh.

Overall the car looks and drives like new, aside from some road rash on the hood, largely from dozens of track days early in its life.

It remains a primary DD (snows on right now!) and primary car for competitive AX since it classes well (S1).

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
... as you may know I had been looking for a pair of headlights for some time.
What I found new from Porsche is ridiculous! Close to $4000 for a set of halogens.
It used to be that Magneti Marelli, Valeo and Auto Lighting all had offerings around $700 per set.
Not anymore.
eBay has a bunch of used headlights being offered but all with damaged inner lens.
The inner lens is replaceable, but it means that you have to crack open de assembly, and if I did that they I'd get more involved.
So, I collected three sets of headlights from local donors. All damaged to some extent and have been working to make one unique set.
It's a hybrid that will have LED parking, HID Lo/Hi Beam Projectors and Halogen Fog and turn signals.

IMG-5222IMG-5223

I've got all the grunt work done: completely redoing the damaged wiring harnesses in the assemblies, customizing and installing the projectors and cleaning up the lenses.
Went through 300 - 400 - 600 - 800 - 1500 grit paper and they're now ready for the UV Clearcoat.
Then, it'll be putting the lenses back in and all set.
That's the last piece in the restoration of my car.
Can't wait.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Hey Pedro,

I can't wait to see your car after the total restore you did. I'm sure it's going to be a beauty, totally not looking like a 300,000+ mile car.

You might find yourself getting in and thinking to yourself, "Only 2,000 miles 'till it's broken in." smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login