Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
[www.topgear.com]

I'm sure the cars will be quick, but wonder about the weight and range--especially when driven "spiritedly".

Are there charging stations at the tracks yet? Maybe owners will include a generator with their track equipment..
MikenOH
I'm sure the cars will be quick, but wonder about the weight and range--especially when driven "spiritedly".

and i wonder about the visceral experience. i know that electric is the future.

the smell of gasoline, the ruckus of an ICE tuned for performance, and the mastery of clutch and stick are a big part of my life. it feels so strange to know they are on their way out.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
... will NOT be as popular as ICE racing. Not even close!
Just look at the failure of Formula-E.
Porsche had touted it to the point of dropping out of several racing series to participate in Formula-E.
Now Porsche has developed synthetic fuel so they can keep Formula-1 as ICE cars.
Porsche will most likely be providing engines to Red Bull and others.
Happy Porsche'ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
frogster

the smell of gasoline, the ruckus of an ICE tuned for performance, and the mastery of clutch and stick are a big part of my life. it feels so strange to know they are on their way out.

The visceral experience of an EV racecar

[youtu.be]

Like listening to someone getting a root canal done at the dentist.
Guenter in Ontario
frogster

The visceral experience of an EV racecar

[youtu.be]

Like listening to someone getting a root canal done at the dentist.

My ears hurt. lol
U need fast-charge stations. A generator won't cut it. Have to fully charge at home and tow to track with your gas powered SUV.
Electric cars these days can charge 200 miles in 15 minutes. Obviously, not 200 track miles but fast enough so that you can drive your electric car to the track. Also, the rate of charge gets faster every year so who knows what it will be when the 718 EV is released?
It was good for 1.5 runs. But the gap between runs (even with a 15-20 car field) was insufficient to charge it for another ~4 lap go at VIR. Int he sidebar they commented that in the typical HPDE - 4 x 20-30 minute sessions/day, you would only complete one, sans DC fast charger. I believe this was a Tesla.

I don't recall the charging tech (voltage/system); but remember most tracks are way off the grid in far away places where land is cheap and neighbors don't complain about noise.

G

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/2022 09:08AM by grant. (view changes)
with it, you can basically drive all day with a relatively short break for charging. Without it, it's not going to be great for hard driving all day.

The charger installed at VIR maxes at 50kW. The "slow" Tesla ones are 3x as fast at 150 kW and the faster ones are 5x as fast at 250 kW. There is a Supercharger 20 minutes away but obviously that's super inconvenient.

Some other tracks have installed superchargers and I expect more will in the future. Electric cars are a lot of fun on the track.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login