Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
The struts on the front hood deteriorated over time. The hood would often shut on me while doing maintenance or emptying the frunk. It was worse in the winter.

So, as I was on the Pelican site for something else, I added the front hood struts to the list. They were not much, and they were very easy to install.
Now the hood stays propped up indefinitely as needed.

I very simple project, but one that makes a difference. You basically need a pick or small screwdriver and 10 minutes. I helps to have an assistant since the hood will move as you install the struts but you can do it alone. I would not use a prop because as noted, the hood will move and displace the prop.
... but my chin was whacked!
The bang on the head had happened to me and most of us with older cars, I'm sure.
But when I replaced the hood of my car with a carbon fibre one (33 lbs lighter) I thought nothing of the struts.
So I installed it, everything fit nice but was off about 2 mm to one side, then I opened it to adjust and as I pushed the lever to allow the hood to open, it got pushed up so fast that caught me off guard and the edge caught my chin.
Four stitches later I was fine but I'll never forget hat.
Come to think of it getting the head cracked was less painful than getting the chin whacked!
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Hey Pedro
How are you "over there" ?
Reminds me of a similar incident years ago...trying to pull the shift knob off a BMW,,,you just kinda' ...pull up.... then pull harder, .....until it lets go and you whack yourself in the chin...
I replaced the struts on the rear trunk of my 2000 - super easy and huge bang for the buck. From so annoying to back to the girl I love.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login