Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi Folks, I'm new to this.
2000 Boxster, barn find.
Key won't turn in lock and thus can't turn steering wheel.
Replaced electronic ignition part–no change. Can't pull key tumbler out as I can't turn to position 1.
I've been trying to get the ignition "pistol" assembly off from the steering column but the spring loaded button has only a depressed button that is just below flush with the assembly housing. It won't budge despite all sorts of encouragement. I'm stuck and my last, desperate thought is to sawsall the pistol off and then try to dislodge the stuck parts. Desperate , I know.
Any insight would be very, very welcome. Thanks. Te
If the car has its wheels turned to one side or flat, it will put a lot of pressure on the steering lock, not allowing you to turn the key.
If this is the case, you can help by tugging on the steering wheel to release the tension on the lock.
Hope this helps.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Thanks Pedro,
Yeah, I've been tugging on this but it still won't release. I assume that it has "frozen" in place and that the missing or broken " button" on the pistol to release the pistol from the steering column may be at the center of the problem. I wasn't sure if the release was only mechanical or was electrically activated. Thanks for any further thoughts.
Alignment
Boxsterra - 1 year ago
It is also possible to get the electrical portion installed with the mechanism rotated improperly. This will cause the symptoms you reported.
Ah, so it is both electrical and mechanical. Yes; thank you! I have replaced the electrical portion ( at the lower end of the "pistol") alas, to no avail. But you've given me the answer and I will keep at it a bit longer before demolition. Thanks Boxsterrra!
Te
Break through! Took the recently installed electrical component ( at the base of the pistol) back off. Took pliers and gently but firmly twisted back and forth the protruding bottom end of the ignition switch while turning/ wiggling the key. Well, unbelievably it worked. The key then turned. Then pulled the pistol assembly off after much wiggling again, some banging and prying. Was able to push the button down to release it from the steering column. Penetrating oil all around preceded this. Put it back together and the key turns, the steering wheel locks and unlocks. There is hope.
Next step ( this is a barn find) is to pull plugs, spray some oil in those cavities, manually spin motor, replace fluids, etc. Don't dare turn it over until that's done.
I have that stuff and use it to prelube long dormant parts.

So far - so good. I put it in my barn find e30 and various parts - including a used head.
I let it sit for a while, then drained/cleaned. it seemed to help?

I know folks who swear by it, not sure I would go that far.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login