Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
My old key for my 2000 Boxster was giving me issues (the two sides wouldn't click together and hold.). My mechanic transferred the electronics and pill to a new housing and all was well.

Now, however, SOMETIMES when I press the unlock button, while the key lights up the lock/alarm doesn't disengage.

Then, eventually it will.

Is there an easy fix for this on a 22 year old car?

Andrew
Thoughts
grant - 1 year ago
1. the new plastic clamshell contains buttons. They may be stiff. Ensure you are getting good (not intermittent) contact.
2. this is not an explanation, but a similar issue: i did mine. Now, sometimes when i insert and turn the key there is a lengthy delay before engagement. But it works. I cannot explain it.

Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Solder joint
Boxsterra - 1 year ago
The 986 key fob has no protection from sideways force on the microswitches. Over time this can crack or break the solder joint. When you press the button it may be disconnecting and reconnecting many times. That won't stop the light from flashing but it will keep the car from unlocking. The solution is easy: reflow the joint. Also, sometimes the actual switch goes bad, which has the same symptoms. The solution there is to replace the switch.
Interesting.....
grant - 1 year ago
outside chance, but that could explain the 2nd fob on my old, old race car. #1 works. #2 does not. Mechanical key works in both.
No obvious damage, A lifted joint would be hidden. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm TY Grant

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
when you press the key button, does the LED on the dash at the base of the windshield flash? if it does, then the car is receiving the signal from the key. if it doesn't, then the car isn't receiving the signal and the key is probably not transmitting.
not a solution in itself but just another step in the troubleshooting process.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Make sure that all the tabs that hold the battery together are in the right position (3 holding tabs?). Mine had the longer and thinner one bent over, not allowing the battery to make full contact with the transmitter. Then the transmitter assembly needs to click into the bottom half (the part without the rubber pushbuttons but with the small Porsche emblem. Do not put the transmitter assembly into the top half, or the key halves won't fully close. Once the transmitter assembly is in the lower half, the key halves should click together fully and hopefully now the pushbutton functions work as they should?

I tried to put the rubber gasket in the key heads as well, but I couldn't. So, I just left them out.

I had a few old key heads where the longer tab was bent.
I went to an independent shop that had the PIWIS software to re-program the keys. But, they needed to have the ECU access codes before they could start. When they called their local Porsche dealer, the response was 2 days to get. I couldn't have that, so I personally went to the dealership and ultimately convinced them to provide them to the shop. So, prepare for this whenever you want to re-program your keys and using an independent. Another dealer only wanted me to go in and show my ID & registration. I used that contradiction to get the local dealer to give it to me.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login