Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Good morning ladies and gents,

I was under the Boxster (986 base) yesterday, and while there a loose, perforated tube of metal caught my eye. It encircles the exhaust, directly behind the cat and manifold. It is loose and rattling.

Does anyone know what this does, or before it was compromised, did? Trying to decide if i can treat it like the rear view mirror in the gumball rally :-)

Speaking of which, off to a rally today. D and I wont he last one outright. Can we make it two?

Happy boxstering

Grant

ps: track car STILL in pieces awaiting pistons. Supply chain is just broken

Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
i had them rattling on my 986 as well. they are small clips and tend to fail, probably because of the heat they are subjected to.
i remember picking up a few at the dealer and replacing them myself.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
it depends which shields. i don't remember how many there are nor where they are. i did it on the floor of my garage and it was tricky getting my arm up there. IIRC they were towards the rear of the car. it would be easier on a lift.
and it's just the clips. the shields themselves are most likely fine. i think they're made of aluminum and don't really corrode.
i wouldn't classify it as "easy" but it's not super difficult if you are moderately mechanically inclined.

--

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/2022 10:52PM by frogster. (view changes)
Usually the shields are there to provide a barrier between the hot exhaust and other engine components.
I always
Boxsterra - 1 year ago
just crimp them to make them stop rattling. Ideally you would weld them but crimping seems to work just fine.
They are about 16" long. I cannot tell you how many times they have come in handy.
TY *NM*
grant - 1 year ago
Grant

gee-lenahan-at-gee-mail-dot-com
Re: I always
frogster - 1 year ago
Boxsterra
just crimp them to make them stop rattling. Ideally you would weld them but crimping seems to work just fine.

my memory of them is that the shields are aluminum. or are you saying crimp the clips?

--
The ones you're talking about surround the cats and they have clips that corrode. The solution there is to just replace the clips, nbd.

The ones (I think) Grant is talking about are the ones that are forward of that. They are connected to the exhaust pipe with spot welds that break over time.
ah, got it. thanks for the explanation.

--
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login