Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I bought an oil filter from AutoZone before my current oil change. I remove the old filter and notice that the new filter hole size is much smaller than the old one (7/8" vs 1-1/4"). I tried to put it on, but doing so would require some force to get it installed. So, I put the old one back on instead. I order new 2 ones from RockAuto and they arrived the other day. I put the Mann filter on and it's a perfect fit. The other filter I ordered (Mahle) also had the smaller hole.

Have others noticed this disparity? If using the smaller hole filter type, is it OK to force it on?

Thanks.
Usually the ones with smaller holes have a skirt that will seal when pressed in.
They're made to fit different size oil canisters.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
I had the same thing happen to me. There was no skirt and it would not push in. I looked at the 2 and the new one was much smaller. I returned it and went to Napa, but checked it when I got it to make sure it would fit, and it was the correct size.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login