Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Suggestions for new Tecno products....
ouroboros - Thursday, 7 April, 2011, at 11:31:54 am
Been thinking what the 986 misses vs our newer cars that may make good tecnoproducts

- Tecno autolights - I really miss a no auto light feature on the 986 and end up leaving the on the lights on all the time on older cars now!
- Tecno auto windscreen wipers - mnn I'm getting lazy
- Tecno LED brake lights. Ones that work in the current housings so stock look is maintained
- Tecno iphone holder - An iphone lead that goes into a Dension/most adaptor that charges the iphone and clips into a good quality holder (like proclip). Basically a professional way of mounting an iphone in a single kit

any others?
Mostly good ideas, but
Laz - Thursday, 7 April, 2011, at 11:50:46 am
I have reservations about the auto light feature. Decades ago, when Cadillac's demographic base was approaching the age of mortality, they came out with "Twilight Sentinel." The implications of that name are dreadful. As a person who has always strongly believed in active driver involvement, having to have such a feature would sadden me. And I hope my mind stays that way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2011 11:51AM by Laz. (view changes)
Re: Mostly good ideas, but
ouroboros - Thursday, 7 April, 2011, at 12:42:28 pm
The problem is almost all other high end German cars have it now - both my DD and my Wife's car do. So when I'm driving the Boxster or a rental on a business trips I keep leaving the lights on!

It's also a neat safety feature - note how many lights automatically go on in a tunnel/ poor visibility. It's my number 1 requirement after getting the iphone/handsfree integrated over Dension.

I'd also like to have the instant on/off look of LED braking without having to buy full aftermarket light units.
At the office we have IR sensors on the sink faucets. I find when I get home I hold my hands under the sink and wait for the water to turn on.confused smiley
Good point! We are all getting too old...
TheFarmer
Good point! We are all getting too old...

It's not so much that we all getting too old... It's more like we are being trained by marketing departments that we actually can't live without these things in our cars!

We can drink the Kool-Aid offered up by these marketers and eventually become amoebas! hot smiley

The problem is that as you go down that slippery slope, certain areas of your brain actually cease functioning. Think of when schoolchildren were allowed to use calculators without having to add or multiply in their heads. What happens when the battery dies on the calculator and you find yourself totally helpless?

I don't find turning off my headlights (and having to remember to do so) an "effort" by any definition of the word.

Of course, as more and more of these "must haves" are added to our cars, the systems become more and more complicated and many of these (not all) do nothing to enhance the driving experience. YMMV.

Regards, Maurice.
The ultimate car for modern society
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 7 April, 2011, at 9:17:15 pm
You get in. You speak the name of your destination and it takes you there.

No pushing a starter button,
No turning a wheel
No shifting
No turning on headlights
No signalling
No stepping on brakes
No watching where you're going
No parking maneuvers

Oh, wait.

...... We have those already

........... here in Canada

................They're called

Taxies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2011 09:17PM by Guenter in Ontario. (view changes)
I think they are intended to save water, not necessarily reduce germ transmission, but you have a point.
Too much silly electronic nonsense on cars......
Rob in CO - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 12:07:55 am
Agree that if it can do better than me, fine. However, I have never found it onerous to click the lights on or off in a car. Ditto for the wipers, defroster....etc. I know it will never happen but I would love to have the turn signal stalk just be for the turn signals, have lights on the dash and....high beam switch go back on the floor where it friggin belongs and was great when it was there. Rant over.

My 2001S is mostly techno-crap free and I intend to keep it that way.
It's called a 2011 model smiling bouncing smiley
db997S - Thursday, 7 April, 2011, at 1:10:55 pm
Mine has rain sensor whipers, LED brake and day-time running lights, blue tooth, integrated garage door opener, no real auto lights though. I love it, and it's not just for old people. When parking at night, it's nice to have the headlights stay on for 30 or so seconds. Also, nice for frequent errands. Hate having to turn on and off the lights everytime i get in and out of the car.
And I hate
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Thursday, 7 April, 2011, at 1:42:47 pm
reminding someone their lights are on only to be told that they have that auto-light option. So the next time I don't and that person ends up with a run down battery.
Re: And I hate
Laz - Thursday, 7 April, 2011, at 2:56:19 pm
I used to be a good citizen and dip my headlights whenever an approaching car didn't have theirs on at night. Now I've become more cynical and figure if they get ticketed it's one less chance I will for something else. I still make voice contact or hand signals when I see a low pressure or flat tire on another vehicle.
Re: It's called a 2011 model smiling bouncing smiley
Ruprecht - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 10:35:38 pm
db997S
Mine has rain sensor whipers,iPad2case LED brake and day-time running lights, blue tooth,leather ipad 2 case integrated garage door opener, no real auto lights though. I love it, and it's not just for old people. When parking at night, it's nice to have the headlights stay on for 30 or so seconds. Also, nice for frequent errands.iPad2 cases Hate having to turn on and off the lights everytime i get in and out of the car.

It's also a neat safety feature - note how many lights automatically go on in a tunnel/ poor visibility. It's my number 1 requirement after getting the iphone/handsfree integrated over Dension.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 10:36PM by Ruprecht. (view changes)
Re: Suggestions for new Tecno products....
SPG356 - Thursday, 7 April, 2011, at 10:02:56 pm
Guys,

I am in the automotive business and let me tell you, the race for content is going to get worse and worse, or better and better depending on how you look at it.

Concerning daily drivers and standard issue transportation, everyone makes a relatively reliable car now. Everyone's cars are (basically) good looking, they start, they drive, they stop etc. The race among manufacturer's is to see how much technology you can cram into a vehicle to set yourself apart from the others.

Does this make the cars "better"? For some people, yes, and for some people, no, but everyone better get used to it!

Regards,

Sebastian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2011 10:04PM by SPG356. (view changes)
ABS, probably one of the best technologies invented for cars. Airbags. Pre-tensioning seat belts.

satellite navigation with a dose of common sense thrown in is great.

killer audio and telephone with spoken commands, fantastic.

but i've always found that the automatic wipers aren't that smart in determining when to wipe. it's been a while since i've tried them but a few years ago i thought they sucked.

--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login