Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Rattley WindScreen and Inserts
jeff in VA - Friday, 8 April, 2011, at 7:29:23 pm
Anybody have any tricks to stop the rattles and such that come from the windsreen and inserts in my rollbar?
If one is not paying attention one can install it wrong to the point it can fall out while driving. Happened to me but I didn't lose the thing. IIRC I've read reports of some who have had the thing blow out and end up on the road.

The rollbar inserts are as quiet as a mouse and I think easy to install. Hard to imagine them being installed wrong.

You might try testing fitting some thin pieces of felt cloth to determine the best locations to eliminate the noise and and then when you have decided upon the the locations of the pieces glue the pieces in place. I would think you shouldn't need very large pieces, hardly large enough to be visible. They'll want to fit between the windstop frame and the roll bar hoops or between the rollbar hoops and the inserts.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Rattley WindScreen and Inserts
Guenter in Ontario - Friday, 8 April, 2011, at 11:52:21 pm
jeff in VA
Anybody have any tricks to stop the rattles and such that come from the windsreen and inserts in my rollbar?

It's usually the windsreen that rattles. Not the rollbar inserts.

With a passenger on board, have them gently press around the edges of the windscreen and see where it's rattling against the rollbar. You can use a bit of thin sticky-backed felt ( get it from a hobby or sewing store) and stick it to the windscreen along the corner to stop the rattle. You won't even be able to see it.
Dale_K - Saturday, 9 April, 2011, at 9:35:11 am
I pried the roll bar trim off only to find that wasn't the source of the problem. There were two small rubber pads under the plastic screen frame at the bottom that create some compression which holds the top clips tight in their holders. I put a couple small pieces of sticky back velcro next to the old rubber pads. The velcro was thicker than the old compressed rubber and I needed to press down pretty firmly on the clear plastic to line up the top clips. Totally fixed the rattle but after I got it working I decided I didn't like the deflector anyway, lol.
Roger987 - Saturday, 9 April, 2011, at 10:51:15 am
My rear windscreen has been a source of irritation.

To try to get rid of the rattling, I've inserted bits of felt etc. in all the right places, with no improvement.

As best as I can tell, the windscreen isn't 'rattling'. Rather, the turbulence causes it to flex enough to vibrate, much like a string on a bass violin. The noise is produced not by rattling where the windscreen meets the roll-bar, but by the windscreen itself, vibrating.

I've been giving serious thought to adding some sort of stiffener to the windscreen - for instance, gluing a strip of plexi-glass along the length of the top edge. However, I don't want to do anything that looks nasty, or obstructs my rear view. I welcome any suggestions.

Yours may indeed be rattling somewhere along the roll-bar, in which case the fixes suggested by others will likely work.
You can buy the things and change them out yourself, or overall it won't cost that much for a dealer to do it, especially if you're in for other service. I believe it requires carefully drilling out rivets that hold the old clamps to the windstop. By the way, there isn't much of a detente when the clamps are fully home, so just be sure they are. (Even at that they seem to "hang out" a bit.) Like when fastening any two parts together, "preload" the windstop in place while closing the clamps. (The analogy is one shouldn't make a bolt do the work of moving two parts together.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/09/2011 12:18PM by Laz. (view changes)
Kind of like a flag flapping, without the noise at first.
gregsterInMO - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 9:28:18 am
I lost my driver's side insert just this weekend. I was going about 45-50mph when I heard a noise, could not figure out what the heck it was, that is until about 45 miles later when I pulled over and noticed it was gone. No prior symptom to suggest this would happen...Now I need to find a used one???

Good luck with yours, my screen is also symptom free at any speed that I can tell.

G.
I attributed it to my not having seated it completely, even though the resistance going into the roll bar felt like it was enough. Have you checked that the remaining one's clips still have the little pads? (Bottom only, I think.) From then on I've set the bottoms in, then pushed the tops in quickly so they have a detente "snap," and then check by pushing very, very gently from the seat side.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/11/2011 10:58AM by Laz. (view changes)
...and, unbeknownst to me, knocked his insert out in the process (never to be seen again), I've secured each of them with a little wire loop through a hole in the insert and around the roll bar. Now you can punch them out and they remain attached to the car...

As for rattling, I've always been able to eliminate the rattle with an appropriately sized piece of cardboard or something right between the windscreen and the lower track it sits in. Generally I fit it once at the start of the season (having removed the windscreen for winter driving), and that lasts until the end of the season. This year I haven't even heard the rattling yet, I've got nothing there. Maybe I'll go for the gusto and try the glued fabric route when I have to do something...
jeff in VA - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 6:49:47 pm
Well, upon closer inspection, it looks like one of my windstop mounts that the "clips" grab onto is broken. I guess I will have to try the repair route. Thanks for the info guys.

On the other hand, today it wasn't actually that bad top-down without the windstop. ;-)
Was a time there weren't no windstops. *NM*
Laz - Monday, 11 April, 2011, at 10:12:02 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login