Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Under drive pulleys and other mods for DEs
MikenOH - Friday, 26 November, 2010, at 9:33:56 pm
First off, Pedro--thanks for getting this board up and going. It helps to fill a big void now that that Pete's board is history.

On topic, after a 3 day DE at VIR I came away with a few conclusions about our 2.7L 06:

1) It needs more power
2) the suspension felt a bit loose even with PASM engaged--a bit too much body roll and the rear felt loose at times in high speed off camber turns. Never noticed it at Mid-OH but VIR made the car feel

For the record the engine is completely stock; I'm running NT05s on 18" rims with a f/r -1.0/-2.0 camber setup, 0 toe in front, slight toe in back.

Regarding power, I know this is a slippery slope and the notion of doing a $5K chip/header/catback system to gain 20HP makes little sense to me.
I've read where the under pulley does add real RWHP (5-10HP, depending on who is telling the story) besides helping to preserve your PS motor. Has anyone done this and gotten a measurable increase in performance? Same question on low restriction air intake systems--worth doing? BTW, the pulley runs about $200 and I'd guess 2 hours to put it in.

Regarding the suspension, I've had recommendations to proceed with GT3 LCA's (F/R) and adj. toe link in the rear to provide more camber and accurate toe settings-- at a price north of $2K, which again seems like overkill especially when I'm driving on essentially street tires. I would not expect these changes to do much to reduce body roll.

The 987 doesn't have the inexpensive ROWM030 setup that you could put in a 986. Can anyone recommend a less expensive suspension solution to reduce body roll and add a bit more control to the rear,assuming my PASM shocks are still good?

finally, alignment--I've had this set up for 3 years and wear on my tires has been good, until VIR where the left front shoulder wore more than I'd like. I can't get any more front camber without adding $'s; any suggestions on the rear camber or toe?

thanks for any suggestions.
Mike..
I can't answer your suspension / alignment questions, but I installed the Flat6 underdrive pulley about 5,000 miles ago and can't be happier.
The installation is relatively painless, the HP increase is certainly felt, but the two biggest improvements are an increase in torque at 3000-5000rpm and a quieter engine due to the reduced rpm of the ancilliaries behind your ears.
It has to be the biggest bang for your buck in the Porsche tuning manual.....
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login