Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
small convertible top tear
boxsterd - Saturday, 27 November, 2010, at 1:38:14 am
So apparently someone tried to break into my Boxster. I discover a 1.5" tear on the passenger side convertible top. It's a precise cut, like he used a scalpel or very sharp knife. What are my options in terms of repair? I could probably leave it alone with no harm except it's obviously going to get worse over time so I'd like to fix it, but I would rather not replace the entire top, if possible. TIA.
water getting into the cabin.

Is the rubber top or sheet still intact?

If not a new top is about all that is available to you.

If the cut didn't compromise the rubber sheet then I'd check in with the most highly regarded canvas top/convertible top repair shop in your area. The shop might be able to sew the edges together. This repair though may not be so go as to blend in undectable from the rest of the top, but it keep the cut edges from getting worse and they will is my guess, and quickly.

You want to avoid getting any dirt down in between the canvas and the rubber. This dirt will act as an abrasive and ruin over time the rubber. So I would not delay too long in getting this taken care of.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
You can...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 27 November, 2010, at 11:29:17 am
... repair it fairly easily.
Find a piece of similar top material which is about 1/2" longer and wider than the tear.
Working from behind, superglue it to the back of the tear, making sure that the edges are flush with each other.
This quick fix will hold for a while.
I'd recommend that you reinforce and fix permanently by stitching it with a sewing awl, such as this one: [www.harborfreight.com]
You can learn quickly how to use the awl by checking out this link: [www.youtube.com]
You'll want to do short stitches like those on the soft top itself.
The sewing awls come with thick, waxed thread, light in color. You may want to find a black-colored thread (depending on your top's color.
Make sure you use a good quality polyester thread so that it lasts and doesn't rot with humidity.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login