Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Current thinking on replacing a pre-MOST Becker CDR 220?
Tom F. - Saturday, 27 November, 2010, at 6:50:35 am
The radio in my 2000 2.7 finally ate its last CD, refuses to turn off . My first inclination is to have it repaired, because its original and has one old fashioned feature I really like: two different knobs for tuning and volume control. The car has the mid-level hi-fi sound option.

On the other hand, I could get something from Crutchfield or the like and install it myself, and at the same time get a front face aux input...but there are like a 100 choices!

Anyone replaced a head unit with something newer and happy with it? I'm not looking for a million features, just a nice unit that doesn't look like it belongs in a Civic with a fart can muffler.

Thanks

Tom F.
I remember a few people had installed...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 27 November, 2010, at 8:39:04 am
... the Nakamichi units beacause the looked OEM and had great sound.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
So, Tom, what you're saying is
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 27 November, 2010, at 9:16:00 am
sorry I don't have a suggestion about your stereo - but....

I guess you wouldn't be interested in the stereo from this car. grinning smiley

Re: So, Tom, what you're saying is - try this again
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 27 November, 2010, at 3:05:37 pm
sorry I don't have a suggestion about your stereo - but....

I guess you wouldn't be interested in the stereo from this car. grinning smiley

Sorry I don't have a better picture as this was of my XM radio installation. If you install a Nakamichi unit, you will be very surprised that your stereo sounds much better. That Becker unit just does not sound very good and has some strange distortions in it. While I am not up on all the brands of car stereo systems, my buddy replaced his head unit in his Jeep with a popular brand and it sounded worse than the stock Jeep unit. I am afraid that selecting these things is really difficult as the market does not understand good sound and the manufactures know this and compete with flashing lights and crap you don't need. The only brand I am aware of that still cares about quality sound is Nakamichi - that I am sure of.

Odd, when I clicked on the twelfth button and pasted in my link, it disappeared from my message. My Comcast link above is exactly as it appeared between your img tags. I used the button on both of my prior messages with the same result.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login