Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
boxster sun visor issue/question
bb1 - Saturday, 27 November, 2010, at 9:08:55 pm
Hi Boxster enthusiasts
I have had my 2000 Boxster for several years now. I have always wondered about something that is a bit irksome about the otherwise great car - the sun visors DON'T seem to be like sun visors in 99.9% of other cars on the road (i.e. that they can be pulled out to the SIDE to help block sun from hitting you through the driver's window).

I even was in the dealership recently and it seemed like the new 2011 ones were no different (at least in the boxster spyder i saw) - all you can do is pull it up/down, but NOT to the sides.

A friend of mine used to have the 996 and when I asked him about this he said that in his car they pulled to the side just like in any other car. Since the 2 cars are so similar in many ways I was really surprised.

1) can anyone confirm if this is a design flaw? (or am i just not doing something right when trying - i feel like it would break if i tried to pull it to the side)
2) does anyone know of any after market parts (other than getting the windows tinted of course which would help) - something that sticks on the window or plastic part of the top that could be "pulled down" to block out some sun there.

(i know it's a convertible smiling smiley )
Thanks
The reason they don't turn...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Saturday, 27 November, 2010, at 9:15:32 pm
...is because it is a convertible.
The factory needed to be sure that the top would safely open and close in whatever position the visor was in.
You can install ones that swivel, but at your own risk.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro.

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2010 09:50PM by Pedro (Weston, FL). (view changes)
thanks for that, pedro. i always wondered why. *NM*
frogster - Sunday, 28 November, 2010, at 1:56:50 am
--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Re: The reason they don't turn...
bb1 - Sunday, 28 November, 2010, at 2:14:11 pm
Thanks Pedro - if anyone knows where you can buy some aftermarket visors which would be "swivel-able" - please let me know - thanks
get the ones for a 996 coupe *NM*
frogster - Monday, 29 November, 2010, at 1:01:50 pm
--
MY 2000 S, Ocean Blue, Metropol Blue, Savanah Beige.
Bought June 2000 - Sold May 2010
Actually, those won't work because...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 8:33:28 am
... the base for the support is mounted right where the notch/guide for the soft top is, so the soft top would not seat correctly when closed.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
babamoto - Tuesday, 30 November, 2010, at 7:16:14 pm
...is to drive your wife insane.
Tino - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 2:35:13 pm
Interesting. The visors in my 911 Cab do swing out to the sides, so I guess there must be some difference in the path of the convertible tops as they open and close on the two models. I did notice that in the 911 the two guide slots for the top are built into the same piece that provides the outboard support for the visors, but that should be easy enough to design into the Boxster as well, if Porsche wanted to do it.
bb1 - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 9:43:25 pm
yeah the 996 top was fully automatic (at least in the 1999 one i'm familiar w/) - so no folding latch handle like w/ the boxster - so that i feel is part of why the 996 and 986 differ in this regard - but yeah what really surprised me was that even the 2011 ones don't address this yet. most cars nice not only swivel out to side but also EXTEND so as to completely block out sun, etc on sides as needed
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login