Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Fuel Leak
scott in pa - Tuesday, 30 November, 2010, at 9:03:31 am
I started up the 986 track car for the first time in a month or so yesterday. It ran fine but after I shut it off it started dumping fuel. It's running down the block and coming out near the oil plate. It has a 3.4 but all the parts are pretty much the same. What's the first thing to check? Fuel rails? Anybody had similar problems?
Watch yourself. Lots of leaking gas means lots of leaking fumes and a spark can set the car alight. Also, fumes will hug the ground and a water heater or furnance pilot light can set them off if you're working inside.

An engine swap means the fuel lines were touched so look at the fuel line connections. While you're there of course, check for a cracked fuel rail, or a soft hose that has cracked/split. The pressure test points on the fuel lines are sealed but if they are disturbed to test fuel pressure they should be replaced. If not done properly...

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Thanks Marc,

Yes, I'm glad that I just started it and shut it off and didn't take it for a spin as I usually do or I might have had a Boxster flambe. The swap was eight years ago so I think it was more likely fatigue then a connection problem. The connection to the rails was my first thought but I thought I would check to see if others have had similar problems. It has stopped actively leaking and It's parked until Sebring in Feb so I've got plenty of time to get er done. I'm also thinking that it is probably time to replace all the water lines
scott in pa
Thanks Marc,

Yes, I'm glad that I just started it and shut it off and didn't take it for a spin as I usually do or I might have had a Boxster flambe. The swap was eight years ago so I think it was more likely fatigue then a connection problem. The connection to the rails was my first thought but I thought I would check to see if others have had similar problems. It has stopped actively leaking and It's parked until Sebring in Feb so I've got plenty of time to get er done. I'm also thinking that it is probably time to replace all the water lines

apparently bolt in differently and flopping about is bad. Not too late to point out that there's a reason why lines have clips, braces, brackets, anti-abrasion gromets, etc. Wiring, hoses, and this includes fuel hoses/lines and even rails, moving about over time can fatique and cause one serious grief.

I asked about replacing all the coolant hoses on my 02 Boxster. Came up when I had the car in for a failed (cracked) coolant tank. I told tech if it made job quicker to just cut the old coolant hoses to/from the tank and then of course replace them with new ones and at the same time I might just have him replace all the hoses. But tech told me cutting the hoses saved no time or money and besides he's never seen a bad radiator hose. They apparently last a long time. Still, a radiator hose is a radiator hose and I'm still a bit worried but tech also said the job's quite expensive. So I'm going to wait until I see signs hoses need to be replaced.

Can't be sure but I can't help but believe periodic coolant replacement with fresh correct anti-freeze can't but prolong the life of the radiator/coolant hoses too. My Boxster has been treated to several coolant drains and refills over its life time.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
What my mechanic said too
mikefocke, '01S Sanford, NC - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 9:34:43 am
I asked for a total hoses replacement and he said no need and he'd just watch them. Even though I had asked and was willing to $, he didn't want to. I listened, figured he was the expert on this car. No problems in 5 years since.
Yes, check the fuel rails
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 30 November, 2010, at 9:33:54 pm
The stock fuel rails on the 3.4L don't bolt up as is so you have to fabricate something. I've seen people skip this step and leave them flopping about, which is very bad.
Re: Yes, check the fuel rails
scott in pa - Tuesday, 30 November, 2010, at 11:59:16 pm
Yes, I kind of remember that being an issue since they were backwards but it's been a long time. eye rolling smiley
Is my ESBB buddy Scott back in PA? *NM*
Rev Dennis - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 4:17:02 pm
Re: Roger that. smileys with beer NM *NM*
scott in pa - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 5:14:42 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/01/2010 05:15PM by scott in pa. (view changes)
Near the old place? *NM*
Rev Dennis - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 8:47:58 pm
West Chester. *NM*
scott in pa - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 9:39:00 pm
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login