Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
I've posted this issue before but it is really bugging me as I smell strong maple syrup from my vents. The smell became really strong after my mechanic put a bigger charge into my AC. I thought it would dissipate or would stop when I started to use my heater and not my A/C but this is not so. So... some questions:

1 - Is smelling this stuff going to destroy my liver, put even more holes into my brain, or make me want to re-decorate the living room?

2 - Some suspect it is the heater core. What exactly is the function of this unit? Is it for heating, cooling or both? Do both A/C refrigerant and anti-freeze flow through it?

3 - Can someone post a diagram where this heater core is? I understand it is behind the dash someplace and the dash must be removed to access it. Anyone do this? Is this a DIY? My mechanic said it is over $1,000 to do this job. Comments?
Re: Heater Core Replacement - Cost? Diagrams? DIY?
MauriceonLongIsland - Wednesday, 1 December, 2010, at 11:53:54 pm
Bruce: This is definitely an easy DIY, and a completely different procedure from that of most other cars, which require getting under the dash and in front of the console. Not so for the Boxster, as everything you need to get to can be accessed from outside the car, below the bottom of the windshield.

I did this a few year ago but did not do a write-up because it was so simple.

IIRC, you have to remove the wipers, the black vinyl apron at the base of the windshield (you'll have to pop off the small circular plastic plugs below the left and right corners of the base of the windshield), the wiper mechanism, the two cross braces that run to the strut towers, the three cosmetic covers over the battery area, and the battery. After that, you will carefully peel off the foam cover that seals the heater core compartment, pull two clips outboard and remove two screws, along with disconnecting the "in" and the "out" small diameter heater core hoses from the two plastic nipples on the heater core. That's about it from memory.

The heater core is only for heating and only has coolant in it. You will have to bleed the coolant system when you are all done.

DO NOT GIVE THAT MECHANIC $1000! You will kick yourself after you see how straightforward this job is, and not nearly as bad on your back as in other cars.

Here are a few photos that might help you. I do have a bunch more if you have a specific area you are not sure about.

Once you remove the black vinyl apron...the two hose pliers are there to minimize the need to bleed the system.

Remove this cross-member and the one on the opposite side.

Part of the vinyl cover (peel off carefully), other end of one cross-member and part of the windshield wiper mechanism.

Pull outboard on the two clips where the yellow arrows are pointing after you have removed the two screws at the red arrows. Then you can just pull up the radiator core to remove it.

Once you remove the heater core, you will probably see coolant at the bottom. Clean it out thoroughly to get rid of the aroma in the cabin.

Regards, Maurice.
This is what is confusing me. I thought the smell is leakage of the A/C refrigerant and if so, it is not the heater core. No?
Awesome post Maurice!
Red_Lightnin! - Thursday, 2 December, 2010, at 12:13:33 pm
Bruce - the smell you are describing is more consistent with coolant than A/C refrigerant. Looks like it is pretty easy to get in there and do this, and if there is any coolant in the box, you have your answer. This is actually an important repair, since this is the same coolant that cools the motor and you don't want a leak in the coolant system.

1998 986 Turbo-Look Cab
172,000 Miles
Dilithium Crystal Supercharger
Re: Awesome post Maurice!
MauriceonLongIsland - Friday, 3 December, 2010, at 8:05:09 pm
Thanks, R.L. (confused smiley).

This may be the only job that is easier to access than it is in other "normal" cars!

Regards, Maurice.
kinda like syrup. sweet,musty,if the leak is real bad you can see steam come out of the vents or an oily film on the inside windshield where the defrost ducts are. a very very small leak can give off the smell and although very rare they can leak at the hose connection
I am certain that you will find some coolant in the bottom of the heater core housing, as in the photo I posted.

As extanker said, if you feel the inside of the base of the windshield, you will probably feel a little sticky, viscous substance, which has been deposited there by the blower as it blows over the leaking coolant.

Regards, Maurice.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login