Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Blue Tooth with 2000 model
bigmac1 - Friday, 17 June, 2011, at 1:19:58 pm
How do I make a Samsung cellphone work through the CDR 220 radio speakers?
Gonna have to buy a different head unit.
dghii - Saturday, 18 June, 2011, at 11:18:59 pm
No bluetooth in CDR-220

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
Re: Blue Tooth with 2000 model
Dwass - Monday, 20 June, 2011, at 4:52:50 pm
There are a few aftermarket options. One that looks really good to me is this one (I haven't taken the plunge myself just yet...) :

Got2bwireless G2-1100

It looks to be about $100. If you have the "blank" plug to the left of the CDR-220, that would make a prime location for the G2-1100, it looks to be a close fit.

Do you have the CDR-220 auxiliary (wired) setup currently in you car?
bigmac1 - Monday, 20 June, 2011, at 7:48:24 pm
Yes, I have been using a hands free unit via a microphone & the radio speakers for 6 years via another cell phone.
Dwass - Monday, 20 June, 2011, at 11:46:11 pm
When you say hands free, is it wireless or wired? Does it use FM transmission or utilizing the CDR-220 direct wire (AUX) connection? I'm trying to understand how your other phone was connecting. Also, is the microphone installed in the car or is it part of a old hands free unit?

-Dwass
bigmac1 - Tuesday, 21 June, 2011, at 4:15:43 pm
It is a wired unit that uses the aux input. It also has a separate microphone.

I'm thinking it may be easier to buy a used Porsche raido that is blue tooth enabled. Do you know when Porsche offered a blue tooth capable radio?
I use Bluetooth in my 1999 w/CDR-210
Boxsterra - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 1:20:21 pm
I use the Blackberry Remote Stereo Bluetooth Gateway.

It allows me to listen to music (in high-quality stereo), make phone calls, listen to Nav, all through the car stereo. So far it has been seamless. It's nice to have the music automatically mute when the Nav speaks or when I get a phone call. The unit is small and I put it behind the radio so it is completely invisible. I hard-wired it in to the switched power plug that is also behind the stereo.
I'd like to get...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 2:15:11 pm
... the schematics for that hard-wiring.
My OEM radio is also a 210, which I pulled in favor of a 220, just because the 220 has the AUX IN and the 210 doesn't.
I really like the 210 way more than the 220 and would happily put it back if I can hard-wire a solution like yours for my iPhone.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
To me, the CDR 210 is a MUCH better looking unit than the 220.
The 210 looks more modern, even though it predates the 220.
The 210 was first introduced on the 1997 993 and 986.
The 220 was introduced on the 1999 996 and 986.

[i83.photobucket.com]

Audio wise they are both as good (or as bad) as the other.

I also like the removable faceplate on the 210.

Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Pedro (Weston, FL)
I also like the removable faceplate on the 210.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Removable faceplate... How quickly we forget those outdated anti-theft measures. Or are they... I too tend to prefer the understated, classic lines or look that only time will bring smileys with beer

Regards, Maurice.
Re: I'd like to get...
tampamark - Thursday, 30 June, 2011, at 4:59:27 pm
Pedro (Weston, FL)
... the schematics for that hard-wiring.
My OEM radio is also a 210, which I pulled in favor of a 220, just because the 220 has the AUX IN and the 210 doesn't.
I really like the 210 way more than the 220 and would happily put it back if I can hard-wire a solution like yours for my iPhone.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Here is the wiring diagram and instrutions for the Phone Input "kit". It is all in the Socket 3 of the CDR-220 with one wire going into the existing Socket A. I put mine in back in 2001, while I no longer have a Boxster I still have the original file along with my invoice to purchase the plug from Becker (the manufacturer of the head unit). I scanned all of it for you to review. The part was all of $14 total shipped price, it included the wires, plug, and removal keys.

Becker part
Instructions and diagram

I have heard good things about the Blackberry module, I personally use the Motorola T605 car kit in my company car. It, like the Blackberry module, handles both phone calls and A2DP music streaming wirelessly via bluetooth. And can be bought all day on Ebay for $30 to $50. It is very cool to get into my car and not have to plug in the Aux Headphone jack into my phone. I don't use an Iphone, I have an HTC phone.

When you use the car kits they have a wire that ties into Socket A in the diagram, when a phone call comes in it sends the Mute signal over, the head unit says PHONE on the screen and you set the system to play the audio from your caller through either the left or right speaker. Only one speaker operates. The volume knob works as normal.
rocknrigo - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 4:39:01 pm
Any chance you can re-post the Instructions and Diagram or email to me so I don't have to join yet another forum? I'd really like to use a bluetooth with my phone. I already have the AUX setup up on my CDR-220.

Thanks a bunch!
tampamark - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 9:12:48 pm
rocknrigo
Any chance you can re-post the Instructions and Diagram or email to me so I don't have to join yet another forum? I'd really like to use a bluetooth with my phone. I already have the AUX setup up on my CDR-220.

Thanks a bunch!

Darn, my bad. I didn't realize that it would require a login to grab those attachments. Sorry.

I have re-hosted them on my Verizon personal page, would have done this the first time but the VZ server was funky at the time.

Wiring info
Becker part

Let me know if you can access these pictures, just click on the webpage and it should allow you to zoom them to full size.
tampamark - Friday, 8 July, 2011, at 10:46:04 pm
Another quick note...

The audio input for the phone is the same socket as the Aux input, however it is a mono input via pins 13/14 in C3 from the diagram.

You also have to make sure to link the Blue wire from whatever bluetooth car kit you purchase, this is the telephone mute wire, to Socket A Pin 3.

When you receive or make a call the telephone mute wire sends a signal to the CDR-220, this mutes the stereo (or pauses the CD), displays the word PHONE on the screen, and activates either left or right speaker for you to hear the caller.

Re: I use Bluetooth in my 1999 w/CDR-210
Dwass - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 11:19:12 pm
Please confirm:

Regarding the Blackberry Gateway, can you listen to music AND make phone calls through the unit? I was under the impression that it was only for music.
It just receives audio over wireless, nothing else
Boxsterra - Saturday, 25 June, 2011, at 4:03:20 am
Whatever your phone can put out
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login