Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
B&M short shift - Thanks, Eric
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 10:27:28 am
I never like to change things on the CURVEN8R. I just love the car the way it came. The shifter always felt so good. ...but ... a number of people have posted about how they like the short shift on their Boxsters. That got me to wondering if I should change mine. Finally, when Eric at Bumper Plugs offered the deal on the B&M Short Shift kit to BRBS attendees, I decided to give it a try.

It's installed and I LOVE it. Shifts are more precise and definitely shorter, crisper. The best I can describe it is, the first couple of times I snicked it into neutral (like waiting at a light) I found I'd actually had it in second gear. It didn't take long to get used to, though. It feels soooooooooo good. I love the PDK (Pretty Darn Kwick) shifting. smiling smiley

Thanks, Eric.

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Re: B&M short shift - Thanks, Eric
Roger987 - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 12:19:57 pm
Thanks for the report Guenter. Pleased to hear you're delighted with the kit. I've always wondered if a short shift kit installed on a 987 might be a missed blessing - shorter shifts, but more effort. Apparently there's no downside.
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 12:41:53 pm
Roger987
Thanks for the report Guenter. Pleased to hear you're delighted with the kit. I've always wondered if a short shift kit installed on a 987 might be a missed blessing - shorter shifts, but more effort. Apparently there's no downside.

Well, I have to admit there is one downside. With the new shifter, the CURVEN8R uses more fuel - because I want to drive it more. smiling smiley ..oh, wait ..That's an upside. grinning smiley

OK, so no downside - at least that I've found.

It does require a little bit more effort because of the shorter throw, but to me it seems like only a small amount, less than I was expecting. It just feels so much more precise.
* "mixed" blessing, not "missed"
Roger987 - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 5:08:28 pm
although, judging from Guenter's report, I'd have to say a short shifter is currently a 'missed' blessing for me...
Re: * "mixed" blessing, not "missed"
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 6:12:05 pm
Roger987
although, judging from Guenter's report, I'd have to say a short shifter is currently a 'missed' blessing for me...

Exactly what I was thinking. winking smiley
Or "Präziseschalthebel." *NM*
Laz - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 7:03:55 pm
Ja. Ganz bestimmt. *NM*
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 8:02:40 pm
Did you install it yourself?
Roger987 - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 9:22:13 pm
If so, did the kit include detailed instructions? Any challenges along the way?
Re: Did you install it yourself?
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 22 June, 2011, at 10:09:41 pm
No I didn't install it myself. There are good detailed instructions with it, though.

I've found a good Indi who is quite mediculous with his work. I decided to let him install it. It's something I didn't want to risk messing up and having a car without a shifter. To me it was worth every penny with the end result.
Thanks for the writeup and glad you are enjoying the solid shifting experience!

And for those 'tempted'....I'm happy to help you move to the B&M with a PedrosBoard Post BRBS DISCOUNT!

Order on our site at BumperPlugs.com, then when you get the email confirmation, mention PedrosBoard and....we will refund $25 back and ship the unit right out (new shipment arrived two weeks ago).

cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/22/2011 10:23PM by Eric (Plug Guy). (view changes)
Al in Melbourne Beach - Monday, 27 June, 2011, at 1:13:25 pm
I love mine, purchased indirectly from Eric via Bill Hall, and installed at BRBS with a lot of help. My experience is the same as Guenter's, much more precise shifting, shorter travel, and only slightly more effort.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login