Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Ok guys and gals, need some tech help/thoughts...
986rgt - Friday, 22 July, 2011, at 1:46:01 am
What would make a metal on metal sound almost like a stone caught in-between the rotor and the dust shield on a right side Beale? I believe it is coming from the right rear. Last year I rebuilt the right front caliper as I thought the noise was coming from there. The noise is intermittent, so it would not be worth booking shop time as I know it would not show itself when I wanted it to.
The sound seems to happen mist when making slow right hand turns, but tonight it did not stop after I straightened out like it usually does. Would a rear wheel bearing failed make such a noise? It was going in relation to wheel speed it seemed tonight. I jacked up the front and everythin seemed OK, the caliper was not grabbin or anything, so I believe the noise must be coming from the rear.
Any thoughts from the gurus here would be greatly appreciated, although I feel like I may have already made the correct diagnosis as a wheel bearing, I would like some confirming thoughts before I start tearing the rear end apart. Bummed that I may need to have to tear into the car...

Steve
Guards Red 1999
I'm not a race car driver, but I play one in 2nd and 3rd gear grinning smiley
Or just...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 22 July, 2011, at 11:08:35 am
... the dust shield that's bent in too far and rubs against the rotor.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
2nd that and add
Boxsterra - Friday, 22 July, 2011, at 1:09:52 pm
that there are some parts of the heat shield other than the outside that can rub. The inside part (close to the hub) can also rub.
Remember about two years ago, Boxtaboy had a undiagnosed noise/vibration emanating from the rear, and it only happened when executing certain types of turns (long, sweeping left turns ONLY, IIRC?) The "Deal"-er soaked up some other needed repairs, but it turned out the be the engine mount...

One of the subject heatshields may have also first cracked (but not split apart fully) as those heatshields are exposed to intense heat from braking (and thereby get thinner/more brittle). Boxsterra had that on his left front brake at BRBS 2010, and a replacement was much beefier AND got rid of the racket.

"...The sound seems to happen mist (sic.) when making slow right hand turns, but tonight it did not stop after I straightened out like it usually does did."...

Have you considered that the sounds/screeching/grating noise may have changed in pitch or volume as the initial problem and its resultant cause progressed into another problem, which should now be the focus of the diagnosis? smiling smiley

...I jacked up the front and everythin seemed OK, the caliper was not grabbin or anything, so I believe the noise must be coming from the rear...

You can isolate the exact one of the four brake/rotor areas by using a simple length of 1/4 tubing from Home Depot [(no financial interest eye rolling smiley ], carefully routing it so that one end is loosely found inside the passenger cabin where you or Mrs. 986rgt smiling smiley can pick it up and hold it near one ear, while the other end is zip tied to the caliper's rigid brake line (the one that runs from left to right and has a sharp bend just before it's floating threads are bolted into the top of said caliper. That will give you the almost equivalent of a mechanic's stethoscope, for minimal cost in $$$ but some time spent routing it. If necessary, you can then try to listen to the other possible suspects.

"... I feel like I may have already made the correct diagnosis as a wheel bearing..."

Again, consider that the symptoms/cause may have changed/progressed and now ignore the sounds or the screeching when making your new, more current diagnosis...In other words, jack up the rear, put is safely on jackstands and yank on the tire/wheel to see if you can feel any play. You have to load it axially and otherwise to carefully hear and/or feel the beginnings of a worn or failing bearing. Since you have already done some of the others, you should be able to discern whether the bearing is bad or on its way to failure.

Bummed that I may need to have to tear into the car...

If there is no TS Boxster L get together soon scheduled, you are welcome at my "Little Legal Garage/Office" anytime as I've got all of the tools, and then some! Thanks to Boxsterra for some vintage and heavy duty ones, even a SIR Tool, ready/SET/go.!

I expect to be around and in and out all weekend....

Now that I spent all day (and them some) at the LimeRock track event and have emerged completely "recombobulated" (credit "Stefan"), I'm just looking for another non-legal-related project to do with a mutually mechanically inclined frient. smileys with beer

Best, and

Regards, Maurice.

P.S. Here is a photo from recent activity at the Little Legal Garage! LOL!!! You can see we made quite a spontaneous team, and, it worked. cool smiley

[www.flickr.com]
Before anyone gets any funny ideas
Boxsterra - Sunday, 24 July, 2011, at 9:40:01 pm
He is referring to Wurth HHS-2000. Great stuff.
ROTFLMAO! Regards, *NM*
MauriceonLongIsland - Monday, 25 July, 2011, at 12:40:42 am
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login