Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Extended Warranty
Fivefive - Thursday, 11 August, 2011, at 2:35:53 pm
Has any one out there purchased an extended warranty for their Porsche and had to use it?
I'd like to get one for my 911 with 61,000 miles.
Re: Extended Warranty
TomBrand - Thursday, 11 August, 2011, at 4:22:56 pm
I have a 2003 S with 30K that I bought from a lexus dealer 3 yrs back. I had a 3yr warranty and used it for water pump replacement & rear seal. It cost me 2,800. That warrantee has since expired and I went back to Lexus. I bought a The Mechanic warranty 4yr/40K for 2,500, with 100.00 deductable which is an exclusionary policy that covers everything but stuff like brakes. I sleep well and could'nt care less about the IMS and other issues. In 4yrs I'll dump the car and get something newer.
Fivefive - Thursday, 11 August, 2011, at 8:26:34 pm
Thanks, Tom.
Have you had a chance to use your new warranty? Where is it available, do you have someone I can contact? After reading all the problems we can encounter with a Porsche, it's hard to sleep at night. My water pump went out and thanks to Pedro, I changed it myself. The parts alone cost more than if I were to send my 55 Chevy in to have a new pump put in it.
TomBrand - Friday, 12 August, 2011, at 11:40:59 am
I haven't use the new one yet, but it's a standard extended warranty that the dealer (Kuni Lexus) sells for their used cars. I like the fact that it is an exclusionary policy. The last warranty I bought from the same dealer was a Lexus Gold plan and it paid for the rear main seal & water pump, 100%, but I couldn't get an extension on this plan because of the age of the car. You will need an inspection on the car. I had porsche do an oil change and they did their 1000 point thing at the same time.
Is the warranty good? Does it matter? At least I have two new avenues to pursue battle with---the warranty company & the dealer. Call your local Lexus dealer and tell him your buddy in colorado bought a Boxster from Kuni Lexus and turned you on to his extended warranty and ask what he can do for you. I don't know how old your car is, but my 2003 was pushing the age limit for coverage.
My experience with Warranty Direct
espooner - Saturday, 13 August, 2011, at 10:55:46 am
I have a 2002 Boxster S, with warrantee that ran out October 2005. I got a 4 year $200 deductible bumper-to-bumper extended warranty from Warranty Direct for $1686. I didn't have to worry about IMS issues, blow-ups, or other problems, and slept well.

Over the next four years, they paid out over $6000 for a new transmission, ignition switch, broken rear suspension mount, both rear wheel bearings, CV boot covers, a glitch in the dashboard lighting, etc. As the dealership was doing the repairs, and got pre-approval for all of them, they had to pay up, and did so. The only thing they failed to cover was front suspension hub carriers. This was a botched prior repair job at an independent shop which cost me $3200 to rectify. Otherwise, they were honorable, and prompt. I would have renewed the warranty, but for some reason or other, they wanted $3400 per year from then on. Can't imagine why...

If/when I buy another car that comes out of warranty, I will buy it again from them.
Fivefive
Has any one out there purchased an extended warranty for their Porsche and had to use it?
I'd like to get one for my 911 with 61,000 miles.

that, I can say that once you held their feet to the fire (literally before the arb), they ponied up honorably and exactly as an insurance company is required to do, at least in NYS.

The take away is that the "warranty" or, more accurately, the "Service Contract" company MUST be one that is backed by a reputable, long-standing, rated Insurance company.

That is no guaranty (pun intended), but it is the only way to go if you have any intention of getting the dough-nuts on any major expense ( including, but not limited to, a complete engine replacement). smiling smiley

Best
Regards, Maurice.

Camelot has sadly become camelote. NOT, Jean Paul Sartre.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login