Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Hi folks
With just over a month to go I am starting my planning for the drive down to our first BRBS. I can always take the most direct route but that may be a bit boring. We are planning to take two days. Are there any routing suggestions from Ontario, interesting stops etc. that I should consider.
Been as far south as Salamanca but that's it.
thanks
Paul
Hey Paul
Sounds like you're planning an interesting route to BRBS.

From Salamanca, if you continue on 219, about 20 mi. south of the PA state line, be sure to visit Kinzua Bridge Park (just a few miles on route 6 from route 219). Good picnic area and a view of the bridge that was destroyed by a tornado. It's a nice route, but depends on where you want to end up by the end of the first day. Maybe somewhere around Harrisonburg or Winchester VA? From there I'd take I-81 to Wytheville, VA (I'd make a pit stop here). If you follow 21 to 221 and stay on that until you get near Boone, your steering wheel will get a really good workout. Your face might hurt from the permagrin. grinning smiley Before you get to Boone, you can get on the Blue Ridge Parkway, which will take you right by Little Switzerland. Note that the speed limit on the BRP is 45 mph. The scenery is breath taking with lots of lookouts where you can stop to enjoy the view. Shortly before you get to Little Switzerland, be sure to go into Spruce Pine. There's a Walmart as you come into town. Be sure and fuel up here or at one of the other stations as there's no fuel available at LS.

An alternate route would be to take I-86 west from Salamanca, then take route 62 south west, along the western edge of the Allegheny Forest (beautiful drive) and work your way over toward Pittsburgh and pick up I-79. It's an Interstate, but a beautiful drive. You could stop in the Pittsburgh, PA or Morgantown VA area. Get off at route 19 and take that down to I-77 to Wytheville (this route takes you through two mountain tunnels. From Wytheville take the route I suggested above.

Here's some video that we took on I-79 and I-77 a few years ago.
[www.youtube.com]
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login