Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Made it back home from BRBS last night. What a great time.
Rey - Tuesday, 7 June, 2011, at 11:21:36 am
The organizers did a great job with the new venue. I think this is the 1st BRBS that hasn't seen a drop of rain in the 8 yrs we've been attending. Was great seeing all are old friends and making some new ones! It was really sad departing on Sunday with everyone going their own ways. usually we have a big caravan heading back to the DC/VA/MD areas that we can run with for a while. Not this year. Some really good new roads in and around the new site. All-in-all, one of the best events we've attended. Couple of scares were Juliette's visit to the local ER and the loss of the ability to shift the car in the middle of nowhere PA. Tranny just locked-up. Coasted to the shoulder. A couple of minutes of idling and checking things out and it started to shift again. Something is still quite wrong though as it's popping out of 2nd gear under light or no load.

See everyone 5/31/12.

Rey & Juliette
Hope Juliette's eye is getting better...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 7 June, 2011, at 12:29:57 pm
... check the cable links on the tranny itself.
Make sure they're popped all the way in.
See you next year.
Happy Porsche-ing,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Yup, and if that isn't the problem
Boxsterra - Tuesday, 7 June, 2011, at 7:31:58 pm
then check the cable adjustment. With a $5 cable alignment tool it takes 30 seconds and requires no other tools.
the syncro. Obviously not a cheap fix out of warranty. This is rare to non-existent in the 996 GT3 trans. Hopefully a cable adjustment or some other minor fix will do it. Fingers crossed.
Took it to EPE in Natick that does all my work. It was not a simple problem. After tear down of the gear box they determined that a thrust washer was missing. Gears were fused. Thankfully the main axle was not damaged. Was able to get by with a partial rebuild. Did a Guard LSD while it was out. GT3 gear box work is a little pricey. Ouch.

So why was the washer missing? When I purchased the car from the dealer (used) they felt the 2-3 3-2 shifts where a little off. They said they'd like to fix it. I said no problem. Car was still under warranty/CPO. Bought the car and put 25k miles on it and it ran like a champ. Pretty amazing the gear box withstood that with not all its parts. LOL

See ya next month.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login