Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
... and that was in 1959.
The day I got my first mid-engined vehicle. A home-built go-cart that my dad built for me with a 2 HP engine.
The fad was just starting and I got in early.
I learned how to drive it well and soon had to upgrade to a commercially built one, a Rupp Kart.
Eventually the slippery slope took me to high-revving engines, such as the McCulloch 101, Rotax, Aprilla, etc
The Kart was now a full racing Margay which at the end had front and rear hydraulic disc brakes, hydraulic clutch, custom-made expansion chambers, etc. etc.
I raced those Karts for 20 years.
After finishing school I was fortunate enough to purchase a used 914/4. Great fun but it had two main issues. Low on power and crappy bodywork.
So, I upgraded again to a 914/6 which only had one problem: crappy bodywork.
If it got cloudy the car would start to rust. If it rained, the rust was so bad it would lose pieces of floor panels.
I had three of them and eventually let them go and got into other cars which all had two thing in common. Two doors and crappy bodywork.
But in 1993, it was love at first sight.
It was what I had been waiting for since that day in 1959!
It was the Boxster Prototype which was presented at the Detroit Auto Show.
I was one of the lucky ones who got to see it unveiled and upon my return home from the show, I went directly to my local dealer (Plaza Motors in St. Louis, MO) and put down a deposit for a Boxster.
I was told it was just a prototype and that it may never be built, but I wrote a check for $50 and made it official.
Four years later, I recieved a call from Plaza Motors letting me know that I had a VIN assigned to me and that I owed them a bunch more money.
The rest is history.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/20/2020 06:09PM by Pedro (Odessa, FL). (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login