Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Ignition switch replacement. Part 2.
TCinNJ - Saturday, 26 February, 2011, at 4:02:00 pm
First I must thank BoxsterBob who was kind enough to send me his golf ball screwdriver a/k/a "the screwball". That ingenious tool made the job easier. Thanks to Pedro for posting the repair instructions. Pedro's easy to follow instructions make us all think we can actually complete DIY repairs. Everything everyone said about the contortions that you go through to replace the ignition switch were correct!
So, I buy a new ignition switch, remove the old and install the new. Feeling proud of myself I get in the drivers seat, insert the key and... it won't turn! I think, "Darn!" could this be one of the few cases in which it actually is the cylinder? I monkey with the steering wheel and keep tying to turn the key. After a while it turns but nothing happens. Battery is fine, lights work, radio works, etc. None of the warning lights on the dash illuminate. Now I think, is it possible the clutch switch went? I get back under the dash and everything looks ok. Wires all connected, clutch switch going in and out. Hmmm? I decide to remove the new switch and reinstall the old. Guess what? Yes, the dash lights illuminate, the key turns AND the car starts. I have no explanation for the strange events but things seem to be working. Go figure.
It's been said before and it'll be said again. This is an awesome place where people will answer your questions, provide instructions, provide support and even lend you their home-made tools mailing them clear across the country!!!! Thank goodness for the people who resurrected the board.
The snow is melting, the sun is shining and top-down days are on the way to the Northeast.
Re: Ignition switch replacement. Part 2.
BoxsterBob - San Carlos - Saturday, 26 February, 2011, at 6:54:18 pm
I'm glad it worked out for you eventually. I had a similar situation. My car wouldn't start at random times, so I went through the joy of replacing the switch, only to find the problem was still there. It turned out to be the crankshaft position switch that ultimately resolved the problem. I now have a new ignition switch, but who knows how long the old one would have lasted. Mine is a '99 knocking on the door of 100k. smiling smiley
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login