Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Shock / strut replacement
Chris in Va Beach - Tuesday, 8 February, 2011, at 9:54:46 pm
The last step in the restoration of my 2000 base tip is replacement of the suspension. Archives suggest that most like the Bilstein HD as near matches for the OEMs. I drive in the pothole city and twice a week on the I95 corridor. No track or other high demand driving. I value comfort given the stock performance I bought the car for.

The archives suggest that the bilsteins are intended for springs that are slightly lower than stock. No plans to lower car.

What have others done to restore the ride without altering the specks of the car? How has it worked out??
are starting to suck, big time.

Side note: I take road trips as often as I can (though not as often as I would like -- I'm overdue!) and at every stop for the night (and many gas stops) I love to buy/read the local newspapers. Almost every major newspaper in every state I've been in (and I've been in every state west of the Mississippi River (and a few east of it...) has at one time or another run a story that claims this (insert name) has the *worst* roads in the USA. For example: The KC Star sent a reporter out in a car equipped with strain gages and over 3K miles of driving in various states the readings were the worst along the I-70 section between KC and St. Louis, which just happens to be the freeway MODOT wants to redo. CA just commissioned a study not too many months ago that found (surprise!) CA roads were worst! Almost every state's department of roads/higways is the tail that wags the dog.

Anyhow, were I to want/need to replace the suspension or shocks or springs on my 02 I'd probably go with the factory items. So far, at 239K miles they seem to be holding up well. I've never driven a Boxster with anything but the stock suspension components fitted but I can't imagine an aftermarket setup delivering the ideal balance between comfort and sportiness. In short, I think it would be hard to improve upon perfection.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: I think you would lose Marc
bgale (Montrose,CO) - Wednesday, 9 February, 2011, at 1:41:34 pm
I have lived in both SoCal (16 years) and the DC metro area (13 years). DC doesn't fix potholes; they put steel plates over them with very large bolt heads sticking up. The biggest problem with I-95 was the amount of traffic on the roads every day; most of the drivers (95%) not having any idea of how to drive. I haven't spent a lot of time in CA recently but my trips haven't found the roads to be as bad as VA and DC.

I actually lived outside of Manassas,VA (about 7 miles east) and had a 32 mile drive to my office in DC every day. If I left the house by 5:30 am, I could make it in only 2 hours; at 5:45 it was 2 1/2 hours. Coming home in the evening it was even worse. This was far from my ideal way to live.
This is always a hard question, on any car.
grant - Wednesday, 9 February, 2011, at 8:22:38 am
For a few reasons.

1. reports are so subjective
2. its expensive to put them in and find out
3. springs and shocks need to be matched for critical damping - more or less is actually bad

That said, Bilstein is the OEM supplier to Porsche. So the HDs should be close. problem is, close to what? ROW030? USA stock?

I'd go for them over any other aftermarket solution. But maybe you need to bite the bullet and buy porsche parts - maybe from a dealer that discounts on the 'net, or have your friendly local indie get them through distribution.

For the record, I wont hesitate to get either Bilstein HDs or maybe a PSS kit when the time comes.

Grant
Re: Shock / strut replacement
SRG - Wednesday, 9 February, 2011, at 11:01:06 am
Bilstien SPORT shocks are typically made for shorter/stiffer spring (than any stock spring). These are the stiffest Bilstiens

Bilstien HD shocks are made to work w/ the stock springs, but idealized for the sport (ROW030) springs. These are the "medium" Bilstiens

Bilstien COMFORT shocks are made to work best w/ the standard stock springs. These are the softest Bilstiens.

At least this was the lingo they used in the past.

SRG

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 11:05AM by SRG. (view changes)
Stephen Tinker in Australia..... - Wednesday, 9 February, 2011, at 6:15:50 pm
Some of the Porsche parts suppliers are selling the genuine ROW suspension kits for about $1200 IIRC.
The kits come with 4 new shocks, springs and sway bars (for both front and rear), all in one box. Sounds like a good deal to me as you can guarantee the quality and the correct fitting....
I agree, but that violates his preferences for a softer ride....
grant - Wednesday, 9 February, 2011, at 9:08:07 pm
.. and presumably stock height. Which does make a lot of sense for a non-track, DD car.

On the other hand, I will seriously consider the ROW 030 complete when the time comes for me - but that's partly due to my track time (Where the wonderful slot-car like stock setup suddenly feels like a wet noodle)

Grant

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/09/2011 09:16PM by grant. (view changes)
EZ AIRE - Tuesday, 15 March, 2011, at 12:51:09 am
This is the route I went a year ago and I love the set up!
Chris in Va Beach - Wednesday, 9 February, 2011, at 9:35:14 pm
I have followed this forum and its predecessor for 10 years and have never seen Bilstein conforts mentioned until today. Sounds good - stock height, some measure of comfort for daily driver and made by the OEM for the car.

I've seen the complete kits mentioned above too and been tempted. But they seem aimed at the "upgrade" market - meanng to a more track worthy less comfortable car.

As Grand alludes to above, the Bilstein HDs are close to stock - but which stock?? I can't tell.

Off to research the comforts.
grant - Wednesday, 9 February, 2011, at 10:14:49 pm
in the very old days - and this was a very general rule - those three levels existed. Comfort was OEM. HD was same dimensions but stiffer. Sport was typically HD with a shorter piston, maybe a bit firmer still.

I have not seen comfort, except for Benz, for ages. Maybe a decade. And i also have not heard whether the HDs are in fact close to OEM or not. But Bilstein *is* OEM, so it may well be.

On may cars, HD is vastly stiffer than stock, and in fact much stiffer than critical damping would dictate, which is bad.

So, IMNSHO, more info is needed.

Grant
boxsterd - Tuesday, 15 March, 2011, at 1:14:54 am
How many miles do you have?
I have been running Bilstein SP with Eibach springs and adjustable swaybars for about 6 years now and love them. So does my wife on those occasions when she does a few errands around town. But my car is not a daily driver and is mainly set up for the open road. I suggest the HD for a responsive, compliant ride. Or you could go with true OEM, unless you plan on making other suspension modifications (such as springs and swaybars).

Many have gone the RoW 030 route, which I also tried but found too soft and unpredictable for the kinds of roads I drive, the way I drive, and my preference in terms of feel.

By the way, I have a set of RoW 030 swaybars for a 2001 S gathering dust if anyone wants them. Just pay shipping.

YMMV
Hey Carlos,

I'll take those swaybars off your hands - I assume they would be bolt ons for my '01 base Boxster.

Email me please : sgarstang at cstone.net

Thanks
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login