Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Crack! Snap! Pop!
Constantin - Tuesday, 15 March, 2011, at 12:04:50 am
Oh dear.... I thought it was warm enough... the sun was shining... it felt pretty warm... but the PVC window went anyway! I suppose I shouldn't complain, 9 years with the original window is a pretty good run for a daily driver that did not enjoy garage protection. Anyhow, can you recommend someone in the Boston area for the PVC window replacement? Or, sources for a '03-'04 glass-based unit to replace the current drop top with?

In another cold weather episode, the CD-changer got stuck switching discs, so now it will neither play discs (the Becker head unit only shows "magazine" on its display if I select to play a disc) nor eject the 6-CD magazine from the CD player in the front trunk. What to do next?

In other world news, I took delivery of my new A6 station wagon, aka my midlife crisis. Overall, I am very happy with the car so far, though the suspension feels a bit soft and the manual is intimidating. On the other hand, the fuel efficiency is surprisingly good, as is the fit and finish. I just wish designers nowadays would not insist on hiding as much functionality behind a minimum of buttons via a bazillion screen options they way that has become the norm. Can be very distracting until one has reprogrammed ones brain to 'intuitively' change menus, select the right options, etc. Perhaps I'm getting old.

After a convertible, any car with long roof-lines feels like driving in a cave. Can't be helped, I guess though perhaps the Panorama option on the MB E-series might have helped with the claustrophobia.

Many thanks for any help, Constantin
sloppy with the 'chop' on a rather cool (mid-40s (Fahrenheit) day.

Can't help you with any recommendation regarding a window replacement shop in your area.

The 6-CD changer/magazine in the front trunk of my 911 acted up once -- refused to work but I can't remember the symptoms or if there was an error message on the display of the stereo. On a hunch I unplugged it and plugged it back and it has worked fine ever since. That is the extent of my CD changer experience.

Oh, I did experience a radio problem with the 911. The radio turned on just fine, the display looked just like it always does, push-buttons worked, etc., but no sound. Took car in to have this looked at (thought it might be some gruesome electrical/wiring harness problem) and since car under warranty...

Tech told me the fix is to with the ignition off and the key removed from the ignition to remove the stereo fuse to kill power to the unit then reinstall the fuse and viola afterwards the radio worked just fine. I have since learned there's a problem in the radio system (firmware -- aka embedded software) and under some conditions a radio/stereo firmware update will be applied.

You might try the unplugging thing then if that is unsuccessful try the fuse thing.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Re: Crack! Snap! Pop!
joeve - Tuesday, 15 March, 2011, at 10:39:05 am
Constantin
I had the same thing happen to me last year on my MY00. So I decided to do it myself with the help of someone else. It took a couple of hrs to remove and also to put back on following instructions that were in the archives on the old board. I then had a new strataglass vinyl window sewn in at a boat upholstery shop for $75 and it looks great.

Joe
1. If it's a sunny day and the top is already up, face the rear of the car toward the sun for a while, or
2. (Still top up) warm the car with the heater/fan going and the wind stop out. It's possible to remove it with the top up. Just don't poke the window!
3. Drive the car to warm it up.
4. If the top is already down, say from the day before, warm up the car or drive it a while so the engine heat makes the top more flexible.

In any case, open or close the top part way, even in a few steps to allow the window to conform to its imminent new shape. And the "chop" is gentle, not a whack.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login