Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Change of Tranny Fluid in '00 S 6 speed
Jay Laifman - Friday, 15 April, 2011, at 11:54:21 am
Hi guys. It's been a while since I've been on this board. On the plus side, my '00 S with 03+ PSE, sport cats, and 997 shifter, has been doing great.

I had put in the B&M short shifter and hated it. Too stiff. Too notchy. Then I learned of putting in the 997 shifter, which cost about $150 at the dealers at that point. I did it and LOVED it. Perfectly tight, short and fast, with the minimum of notchiness.

But, at my last service, they took out the factory tranny fluid and put in what I believe is a Redline, probably synthetic. Then my shifting became TERRIBLE when first driving in the morning. Crazy stiff. Even trying to pull it out of gear to shift is very hard. Fortunately it lasts for only a few miles. But, it's just not acceptable.

The shop is great and they are going to check it out and swap back in the factory oil (well, not the used stuff).

But, I thought I'd check to see if anyone has any thoughts about what else it might be.

FWIW, I happened to be by a dealer the other day with some time. So, I pulled in to see how much they would charge just to do a "quick" tranny fluid change. $450!!! Geeze.

Jay
One more thing
Jay Laifman - Friday, 15 April, 2011, at 11:55:56 am
Oh, and if anyone has any thoughts if this has caused any damage, I'd be interested.

I assume this fluid is just so slippery, it all drains down during the night and there is zero fluid on the gears in the morning. But, that's just a guess.
My guess is - ironically - the opposite
grant - Friday, 15 April, 2011, at 12:38:14 pm
If a fluid is too slippery, it does not provide enough friction for syncros to work. So many fluids include "friction modifiers" (don't ask) to make syncros operate better. Your "hard to shift" symptom might be this. If so, no damage, just refill with factory.

I rarely see an advantage to anything but factory gear oil. Its rarely changed, and the Porsche and Audi/VW stuff is very good.

Grant
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login