Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
cleaning the outer CV joint. ? how
Petee_C - Tuesday, 26 April, 2011, at 10:29:26 pm
Well. Looks like my passenger side half axle had grease leaking out both ends. Outer CV boot was ripped about 1/2 way around. The inner had tears, but not yet full thickness tears. I believe the large clamp wasn't tight enough, and grease was leaking out from under neath the flange.

I disassembled the inner joint, had to guess (oops) at the way the inner and outer race face (got it right, confirmed by a couple before fotos I had snapped. Phew!). It's clean, and ready for new grease and boot.

Anyways. What's the best way to clean the outer, "non-disassembable" (sp) outer CV joint? Rip is the yellow arrow. Just wondering if this originally brass coloured cap comes off (red arrow)? Can I put parts cleaner in it? swish it around, and blow it out with compressed air? I can't reach very far in with my fingers.

high rear.

You ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 27 April, 2011, at 12:13:45 pm
... can't really disassemble the outer like you do the inner side.
Just try to get as much of the old grease and you can by rotating the joint and pulling / pushing the half axle in and out.
repack with new grease, but don't overpack.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: You ...
Petee_C - Wednesday, 27 April, 2011, at 2:54:39 pm
Hi Pedro,

Have u had any luck with brake cleaner to blast out the grease in there?

I did a google search, and guess brake cleaner is indicated for cleaning CV joints. Makes sense, No residue. I may use air too.

I'm just a bit worried as I can not say for certain how long the boot has been ripped. My guess is less than 12 months (of which 5-6 months the car was off the road - Nov-April). The CV joint was not dry. Still has plenty of grease on the inboard side. Can't see the output side (cause u can't disassemble it). At least getting as much grease out as I can will help me inspect it for wear. I have no noise coming from the rear that I can relate to CV problems.

I followed the pictures and directions on your site. It was helpful. A couple suggestions.

- Mark the 3 races of the inner CV joint after getting the dust cap off. My CV came apart while trying to get it off the shaft. Probably had to do with the hammer action (I used wood as a drift on the inner race). I was able to piece it back together after researching assembly of a CV joint. Marking it would help with getting it back to original alignment.

- Alcantera suggested I remove the 2 concentric adjusting bolts for the lower control arms to get the wheel carrier enough sway to get the axle out. He had problems with disconnecting the ball joint, and suggested this was easier. I marked both pairs of washers with a Sharpie and Awl to get the alignment back (or at least very very close).

---
Thx for any insight on the brake cleaner issue. Appreciate it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2011 03:16PM by Petee_C. (view changes)
More pics if u're on rennlist....
Petee_C - Wednesday, 27 April, 2011, at 3:19:22 pm
pics from a different forum I visit. You might need to be a member to see the pics. sorry
Re: You ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 27 April, 2011, at 3:44:39 pm
... can use brake cleaner, but only if you get all of the old grease out.
Blow some air into it afterwards so no residue remains.
If the CVJ is still packed with grease odds are that there will be little to no wear and you'll be good to go.
I still find that splitting the joint the better way to go since you won't have to align afterwards.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
update
Petee_C - Wednesday, 27 April, 2011, at 10:05:58 pm
Both CV joints look good. was a little worried about the outer one. I ended up wiping out the visible grease, and then a can of brake cleaner to wash out 90+% of the remaining grease in there. You can spray it into the open end of the outer CV joint, and it flows out a hole in the axle stub. Collected the stuff in a pail on the work bench. Put a lot of compressed air through it too.

Got the axle reassembled without too much drama... Note use a faceshield when using an impact hammer. Had a close call as a chip bounced back and hit me in the corner of the eye. Was putting the inner CV back on, and realized I was missing the brass coloured inner CV cover. oops.

Used my vise to gently squeeze the metal covers back on the inner CV joint.

Got the axle bolts cleaned in my home made parts cleaner. - Plastic PB jar, hot water and Fantastik. Then shake it like a mixed drink.

Have to wait to finish it. One of the kits was missing the small boot clamp. WIll have to call tomorrow and get a replacement sent to the store.

P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login