Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
driving off rhino ramps
boxsterd - Monday, 15 August, 2011, at 12:35:11 am
This has always bothered me. I changed my oil/filter today using rhino ramps. I can never cleanly drive off the ramps. It seems always one "shoots" out ahead of the other, and my car makes a disturbing "THUNK" landing off the ramps. Is there a way to cleanly drive off the ramps with the ramps in place? I was thinking about adding rubber feed to the button of the ramps so they don't slip. I'm concerned about harming the suspension or alignment with the awkward driving off the ramp.
I've never had a problem driving off ...
fastdude986 - Monday, 15 August, 2011, at 11:17:42 am
... those ramps.
It's generally when you're driving onto them that they tend to slide.
When driving off, just let the car coast down with the brakes partially applied and ease it off.
Don't accelerate off them.
When driving onto the ramp you need to watch your gas pedal control.
It's usually best if you can secure the rear of the ramps against a 2 x 4 or similar.
Cheers, Peter.

The older I get, the faster I used to be!
in the shipping department the ramps do not move about, provided that before I back the car up on the ramps I jam each ramp's end under the tire to give the ramp's rubber feet some bite.

Even so I ease the car up on the ramps and ease it off again.

I've used these for my Boxster, VW Golf TDI, GTO, Cayman and the Turbo and have never had a problem.

But easy does it.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
I use a floor jack to put the car on ramps
Tnert - Monday, 15 August, 2011, at 4:35:46 pm
Had a Ferrari 308 spit the ramps to the front of the rear wheels going up on ramps once, and caused visible damage to the underside of the car requiring minor body work and paint. Just use an aluminum floor jack, three or four pumps and you can slide the ramp under. I still use jack stands for safety.
Just floor it
Boxsterra - Monday, 15 August, 2011, at 9:14:58 pm
then the ramps will automatically put themselves back in the garage. If you do it just right, the car will stay put.
Nope. I'm going to buy new ramps. *NM*
boxsterd - Wednesday, 17 August, 2011, at 7:25:17 pm
I coast. No rotational torque, no tendency to shoot out
grant - Friday, 19 August, 2011, at 2:29:20 pm
If you need power, its a matter of feathering the clutch i guess. Never been an issue. Don't place the ramps on grease skids :-)

Grant
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login