Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
Wheel bearing
Ollie - Saturday, 24 September, 2011, at 6:30:22 pm
I keep losing the right rear wheel bearing on 98 Boxster. The axel nut is properly torqued to 340 ft-lbs. This is the 5th time I will be replacing it, the other 3 have been replaced 1 time only. Anyone care to tell me what is going on???? I have 166K miles on it
a comment....
por911(bc) - Saturday, 24 September, 2011, at 7:10:12 pm
It might be any number of things. Replacing one of those bearings properly can be quite a task. The housing might not have been heated up, or the bearing cooled before to avoid stress upon installation. There are also many aftermarket (read: made in china) bearings out there that are absolute trash, OEM is the only way to go. If one of the previous bearings seized in the housing , or was improperly installed(canted), the housing might need replacement. How is the alignment? The tool used for setting the torque can also matter.
regards
....I feel your pain. I tackled the job because of torn CV boots. I had done the drivers side rear last November as it was shot. The passenger side was ok but since I had the axle out and control arms disconnected I knew that I might as well do the bearing.

I am fortunate to have access to an Auto Hobby shop with lifts and great tooling, including a 50 ton press. The axle and the bearing R/R were not a big deal, what seems to trip me up is the darn parking brake. I had a heck of a time getting the cable out of the hub carrier...to the point of inserting a screwdriver and driving the cable out with a hammer. When it came time to reassemble, I could not feed the cable end through the hub carrier to save my life. I ended up having to file the cable end slightly in order to get it installed. Unbelievable. Of course, I got to follow that adventure up with fighting with the springs for the parking brake assembly.

Anyway. All is done and if I end up in the same boat as you I'm gonna be one very PO'ed owner.

dghii
2000 Boxster S 6speed 112k miles
4 possible explanations
Boxsterra - Sunday, 25 September, 2011, at 12:43:52 am
- Faulty bearings (unlikely, especially 5 times in a row)
- Improper installation (crooked insertion is possible)
- Damage during installation (possible to dislodge the inner race during installation)
- Excessively-sized spacers and/or lots of heavy cornering
Re: Wheel bearing
Ed B - Sunday, 25 September, 2011, at 9:37:31 am
Ollie,
The early Boxsters had smaller wheel bearings than the "S" and later models. And you are using Hoosiers. I'll analyze the bearings if you want.

Ed B
Re: Wheel bearing
Ollie - Sunday, 25 September, 2011, at 12:36:54 pm
Ed B- I will give it to to look at, if Hoosiers and hard driving, why only the rt- we alternate directions... Bill C has replaced RT Rear 6 times and none of his other bearings... I find that real interesting

I have run Timken as FAG bearings in there with the same results, maybe I should run Duralast at half the price LOL

I do heat the housing and freeze the bearing- have a 12 ton press

YES lots of heavy cornering AutoX and track, but only the right?????? Ed will testify that the car is put through hell

THANKS everyone
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login