Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Clues about soft top durability
Laz - Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, at 11:19:23 am
Check out the linked page, particularly the PTS bag product description near the bottom:

Soft top durability

(Resistance to UV and temperature.)
First, using the material from a convertible top for luggage is just ...... odd. No comment beyond that.

I have 185K miles on my 2000 S and the top is in really good shape! The window is a little scratched up and "browned" in the corner folds but still not too bad. The top has some minor abrasions but still looks just great. I do use a hardtop for the winter and always wash the top with detergent before storing and apply that cloth thingy over the window then. I use 303 fabric guard about twice a summer and wash with detergent before applying. If I get caught needing to move the top when the temps are say below 60, I plug in a hair dryer to warm it up before folding or unfolding and clean it with Plexus.

I never thought I would get this much life from the plastic window.
Concerning top condition, my 2001's looked almost new, right up to selling it last year.. The rear window had some crease rub marks toward the bottom edge that might yet come out with lots of elbow grease, and the flanks of the top had a bit or wear in the area that the framework would cause rubbing. That was it.

I used various, (including "official" products for the window,) including Plexus, and Raggtop for the canvas. Occasionally I'd shoot some graphite into some of the frame joints, too.

You know what you're doing, but everyone should know to be careful using a hair dryer. On cooler days I'd either let the interior warm up in the sun, or use the heater set on recirculate before operating the top. Having the windstop out would expedite this second option.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/25/2012 11:12AM by Laz. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login