Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Already having flat 6-cylinder- and 2-cylinder- ('95 BMW R1100R) -engined vehicles in my garage, I will soon add a 4-cylinder flavor: just special-ordered a '12 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited (to replace our long-in-the-tooth '99 RX300 as the "utility" vehicle). The Subaru comes packing a CVT transmission with paddle shifters, if you can imagine that spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
1999 Arctic Sivler/black/black (sold)
2008s Silver/black/black - so predictable
2011 Outback
8/24/2011 first Grandson
to liquidate all my stuff and buy a late model BMW and travel.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Deleted! *NM*
MarcW - Tuesday, 31 January, 2012, at 8:25:46 pm
Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2012 08:29PM by MarcW. (view changes)
Possibly my "desert island" book.
...I didn't make it very far the first time, some 30-odd years ago, but that was probably because I may have been into motorcycles but not so much into self-awareness... now I meditate regularly and am actively involved with my local meditation center (even maintaining the web site for them), so I think I'd be more receptive to that book!
It's the first bike I've owned in 17 years, and the heaviest, and the one with the most annoying directional signal controls by several orders of magnitude smiling smiley and with a shifter I still haven't quite come to terms with (Beemer shifters like to be pre-loaded, especially that pesky 1st-to-2nd shift, but so far I've found doing that to feel unnatural. I'll keep working on it, especially since I don't like the transmission to be stuck in first with impatient cars right on my tail...)

Some folks like the riding position, rather erect with feet a bit further back than on most other bikes, but others find it really wierd. I actually love it, my body remains quite relaxed in it. The previous owner also put an extra spacer on the handlebar mount to raise them a bit, and since we have the same size torsos, it was a good fit for me as-is.

The low-revving nature of the big twin is also new to me on a bike (I've owned a 175 single, a 3-cylinder 350 2-stroke, and a "baby Magna" (V30/500cc 4-cylinder water cooled beauty), all high-revving. The Beemer engine turns with about the same RPM's as I used to drive my '03 Boxster S with the stick...(but still higher than the '09S's PDK in auto mode, where i usually leave it because I'm too lazy to shift.)

I've always just loved the flat twin BMW "look and feel", though, and it's always an especially meditative experience to go cruising on mine (except when the tranny gets stuck in 1st because I haven't pre-loaded it, lol)
Leor ('09S, North of Boston)
It's the first bike I've owned in 17 years, and the heaviest, and the one with the most annoying directional signal controls by several orders of magnitude smiling smiley and with a shifter I still haven't quite come to terms with (Beemer shifters like to be pre-loaded, especially that pesky 1st-to-2nd shift, but so far I've found doing that to feel unnatural. I'll keep working on it, especially since I don't like the transmission to be stuck in first with impatient cars right on my tail...)

Some folks like the riding position, rather erect with feet a bit further back than on most other bikes, but others find it really wierd. I actually love it, my body remains quite relaxed in it. The previous owner also put an extra spacer on the handlebar mount to raise them a bit, and since we have the same size torsos, it was a good fit for me as-is.

The low-revving nature of the big twin is also new to me on a bike (I've owned a 175 single, a 3-cylinder 350 2-stroke, and a "baby Magna" (V30/500cc 4-cylinder water cooled beauty), all high-revving. The Beemer engine turns with about the same RPM's as I used to drive my '03 Boxster S with the stick...(but still higher than the '09S's PDK in auto mode, where i usually leave it because I'm too lazy to shift.)

I've always just loved the flat twin BMW "look and feel", though, and it's always an especially meditative experience to go cruising on mine (except when the tranny gets stuck in 1st because I haven't pre-loaded it, lol)

my Yamaha XT 400 and my ex-wife's Yamaha 125.

The BMW turn-signals and some other controls come in for some harsh/nasty comments from the motorcycle press. I read Bike (UK published motorcycle mag) almost every month and every time there's a review of the BMW the turn signals/controls get it.

But I like the flat engine, the air cooled aspect, shaft drive. Not sure I like the non-traditional front/rear suspension but the reviews don't knock the bike for those.

Probably never buy one, buy any motorcycle again, but the BMW would I think be my 1st choice.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login