Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Just gotta rant a bit.

Took my wife's 2008 IS250 to the dealer for 30K service and got a call that the car requires new pads and roters. Also, they strongly suggest a fuel system cleaning. The car has 30K miles on it. They wanted about $800 for the pads and rotors. I didn't even ask about the fuel service. So I did some quick research and even called Lexus national.... get this: 1) There are no wear sensors on the brakes, and 2) Rotors typically last 17K miles. Regarding the a dash light trip, both the tech and Lexus said they just don't have them. I checked an on-line parts place and they do exist, but they appear to the scrape noise type. Pretty low tech for an expensive car. Apparently, these rotors are made with soft metal so the driver gets both more bite and an easy pedal press. They do bite and actually are way too sensitive for me and no way are they linear in their pressure/bite as you apply more pressure. I don't like this car's brakes.

Anyway, I told the tech forget it... he really was adament that the car needed the fuel job so, I can't believe I then agreed to it. Then I told him I can do my own brake and rotor jobs and I said I do it on my other car. He asked what that was and here he owned a 911 and we started chatting it up... both of us had blown engines etc. etc. then.... all of a sudden he cuts the conversation short and said he would give me new rotors and pads for free...... huh? and that includes labor...... what the F just happened?

Did he do this cause the Porsche brotherhood, or did he already install them? He was dealing with my wife and I think many of these Lexus owners around Philly have no clue about cars and they get taken advantage.... so I am guessing.....
he did the brakes for free b/c of the numerous TSBs on IS/GS brake issues w/ dust/squeal/shims - there have been a few shortcomings.

Scoot over to www.clublexus.com and you'll find many a thread on the topic...
What would have cost $800 is now free? Yikes--time to look for another Lexus dealer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login