Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Clear bra? confused smiley
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 31 March, 2012, at 2:40:34 pm
While waiting for my new car, I have been daydreaming about what I will do to it after I get it. Probably Lloyd's Mats and clear side markers (if it comes with amber), and possibly a clear bra . I could not find a discussion on the Board of the pluses and minuses of clear bras. For those who have them, or have had them, a few questions;
1. About how much did yours cost?
2. Is one brand better than another? The two brands I have seen most on the Internet are 3M and Xpel.
3. Is a kit or custom installation better? I saw one installer who had raves on various forums who said he only uses computer cut kits - no knives.
4. Does it yellow after time - like the factory stone guard on my 2008 Boxster?
5. How do you care for it? Do you wax it?
6. How long should it last? Does it have to be replaced after a few years?
7. Any other pluses or minuses?
8. Would you buy it again on a new car?
9. Anyone recommend a good installer in Atlanta or should I go with the dealer (who probably subs it out anyway)?

A lot of questions - but I need to kill time some way until July.

mike

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: Clear bra? confused smiley
Guenter in Ontario - Saturday, 31 March, 2012, at 8:30:49 pm
Lawdevil
While waiting for my new car, I have been daydreaming about what I will do to it after I get it. Probably Lloyd's Mats and clear side markers (if it comes with amber), and possibly a clear bra . I could not find a discussion on the Board of the pluses and minuses of clear bras. For those who have them, or have had them, a few questions;
1. About how much did yours cost?
2. Is one brand better than another? The two brands I have seen most on the Internet are 3M and Xpel.
3. Is a kit or custom installation better? I saw one installer who had raves on various forums who said he only uses computer cut kits - no knives.
4. Does it yellow after time - like the factory stone guard on my 2008 Boxster?
5. How do you care for it? Do you wax it?
6. How long should it last? Does it have to be replaced after a few years?
7. Any other pluses or minuses?
8. Would you buy it again on a new car?
9. Anyone recommend a good installer in Atlanta or should I go with the dealer (who probably subs it out anyway)?

A lot of questions - but I need to kill time some way until July.

mike

I can tell that the wait it already having its effects. grinning smiley

1. CURVEN8R had a clear bra installed (I believe outsourced by the dealer) before I took delivery cost was $600 here north of the border.
2. It's the 3M. I only did the front bumper and there's not a mark on the bumber so far. It's VERY tough stuff
3. I believe it was a lazer cut kit custom cut for the Boxster.
4. It has not yellowed in 6 years.
5. I P21S it the same as I do the rest of the car
6, No minuses that I see. If you do the frunk lid, I'd do the whole thing. Not just the front 2 feet or so.
7. I would not buy a new Porsche without the 3M
8. Sorry, can't help with an installer in Atlanta.

Happy waiting. smiling smiley

Guenter
2014 Boxster S
GT Silver, 6 Speed Manual, Bi-Xenons, Sports Suspension (lowers car 20mm), Porsche Sports Exhaust, Porsche Torque Vectoring, Auto Climate control, heated and vented seats, 20" Carrera S Wheels, Pedro's TechNoWind, Sport Design steering wheel, Roll bars in GT Silver
[www.cyberdesignconcepts.com]
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Saturday, 31 March, 2012, at 9:21:16 pm
Thanks, Guenter.
BTW, instead of P21S, I use S100 wax - which I think is the same thing for a lot cheaper ($16 VS $33). Even the jar is the same, except for the name on it. You can buy it from motorcycle suppliers.

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
KevinR-MedinaOhio - Sunday, 1 April, 2012, at 6:59:01 am
1. >$1000 from the dealer. I could have had the installer come out to the house for a lot less, but I got it as part of the loan.
2. I talked to the installer beforehand. He used Xpel as it is thicker and stronger. He said it will not yellow w/ age.
3. Not sure, but I think he did it by hand rather than a kit.
4. N/A, just got it.
5. I use Zainos and and putting it on now. The instructions that accompanied the bra said that any wax could be used, but a buffer should not be used. The dealership gave me a spray bottle of Griots wax, which I will try on top of Zainos.
6. As far as I know, for the life of the car. But I'll be happy if it lasts for the life of the loan. winking smiley
7. None that I can think of, except when I clayed the car, I had to clean the clay out of the bra edge. Oh, and the bra won't protect the car from deer. eye popping smiley
8. I'd buy it for any low-slung car.
9. N/A

The installer did the first 2-feet of the hood, the front of the fenders, the air-dam, and the front portion of the mirrors. I'd have liked to have the entire hood done. Also consider getting the door edges done. Also think about doing the underside edges of the front end clip and the wheel-well edges done. Those areas on my car are heavily pitted from rocks.

Driving a new-to-me '09S in Aqua Blue Metallic. It does .5 past light speed. I made the Kessel run in less than 12-parsecs.
Motto: If you have your top up, that storm outside had better have a name!
Motto 2: Having the top up on a convertible is an oxymoron. Don't be a (oxy)moron.
Re: Clear bra
Roger987 - Sunday, 1 April, 2012, at 11:06:40 am
Hi Mike:

As hard as I tried to find one, there doesn't seem to be a consensus as to what is the 'best' film, though 3M's is very highly regarded.

I'd suggest you give these guys a call - I bought my current kit from them - they seem very knowledgeable, honest, sincere, and have excellent customer service.

[www.invisiblemask.com]

Here's what I have gathered - the 3M film is strong, a bit thicker and more scratch resistant than (all?) others. None of this stuff is going to be as scratch-resistant as your car's clear-coat; take care when removing dirt.

The downside to (any) thicker film is it's less pliable - meaning it's going to be harder for the installer to get 'perfect'. Thinner stuff will wrap around compound curves more easily, but there will be less there to absorb stone impacts.

I opted for the thicker, 3M product. The installation on my mirrors left some wrinkles - I'm not wild about them, but they don't drive me nuts, and I'm pretty OCD.

Before my car became GT Silver, it had been black, and had a clear bra. Whoever installed it (in Georgia) really knew what he was doing - there were NO wrinkles, anywhere. Incidentally, the shop who repainted my car was massively impressed by the paint finish beneath the original bra. It was as pristine as new.

The guy who installed my present kit works in one of the best shops in Atlantic Canada. He was good, and tried hard, but the installation isn't as flawless as the original. I recommend that you look carefully for someone with bags of experience, and that you closely examine his work on other cars first.

Another tip - my current kit has full front bumper, mirrors, front fenders (not full), trunk lid (not full), AND pieces covering the area at the back of both the front and rear wheel wells where the tires kick up a LOT of crud. I'd recommend you use such a kit. It ALSO included pieces for the rocker panels - where the heels of my shoes sometimes drag when I get in and out of the car. I really value these pieces. Also pieces for the cup underneath the door handle. They work well too.

BTW, I installed a number of the flat pieces myself. I took my time, watched the demo DVD about 10 times, as well as youtube. If you're fussy, and take care, the flat surfaces are straightforward. What you lack in experience, you'll make up for in it being YOUR car, and your determination to get it right. I should add, though, that I did my own partial install mostly because the installer is 3 hours away, and I wanted to reduce the risk of paint damage en route.

The guy at Invisible Mask recommended I use a non-carnauba wax product. He suggested Meguiars NXT, and that's what I've used. He was of the view that a wax-based product might yellow the film. As you know, Guenter is a big fan of P21S, and his car looks as though it just came out of the showroom (and it's no garage queen). Whomever buys it from him when his 981 arrives will be getting a beauty!. winking smiley

One last tip - don't let them put tire-shine on your tires - that stuff will fly off and impregnate the fresh film installed on the rear part of your wheel wells. Dont ask how I know. sad smiley

Feel free to PM me or reply here, if I can help further.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/01/2012 11:08AM by Roger987. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login