Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.
over-revs.....
Petee_C - Tuesday, 3 April, 2012, at 12:00:28 am
This is my 3rd season with my '01S.

I was out for a spirited drive on some vacant country roads. I think I may have over-reved it in 2nd. I was sure I was below 7000rpm, but I was on my way to shift to 3rd and the power cut out for a second, and the car lurched back. Got it into 3rd, and continued on.....

Happy drive for the remainder of my trip....

Is this what happens if u hit the rev limitter in the 986S?

Peter
You didn't ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Tuesday, 3 April, 2012, at 7:37:18 am
Petee_C
This is my 3rd season with my '01S.

I was out for a spirited drive on some vacant country roads. I think I may have over-reved it in 2nd. I was sure I was below 7000rpm, but I was on my way to shift to 3rd and the power cut out for a second, and the car lurched back. Got it into 3rd, and continued on.....

Happy drive for the remainder of my trip....

Is this what happens if u hit the rev limitter in the 986S?

Peter

... over-rev the car, you just hit the rev limiter.
It doesn't hurt the car at all to do that.
The only way you could over-rev it is if, for instance, you miss a downshift from 5th int 2nd instead of 4th.
If that happens and you release the clutch the engine will mechanically over-rev and could cause damage.
But up shifting you can hit the limiter on every gear with no I'll effects.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: You didn't (over-rev)....
Petee_C - Wednesday, 4 April, 2012, at 12:04:24 pm
thx for the response. I guess I hit the rev-limitter, it's pretty harsh cutout.....

on a side note, my car has 95450km on it. The next day I noticed a CEL, p0102. Cleared the CEL, but it came back within 10 minutes.

Some digging around points to a dirty or faulty MAF.

Borrowed a T20 security torx bit from Alcantera, and had a can of Air Intake cleaner in the garage. Took the MAF out (part 986.606.125.01) and cleaned it with the spray. Also vacuumed out the intake box, had a couple small leaf pieces in it.

The MAF had a bit of residue on the wire sensor parts. Cleaned it well with aerosol cleaner, and set it in the sun to dry. Gave it a blast of compressed air too.

Short 10km test drive brought the car up to temp, and no CEL. Will monitor with fingers crossed as that solves the problem for now, as I'm currently unemployed......

Peter
2001 Box S
Re: You didn't (over-rev)....
Petee_C - Wednesday, 4 April, 2012, at 2:30:43 pm
Petee_C

Short 10km test drive brought the car up to temp, and no CEL. Will monitor with fingers crossed as that solves the problem for now, as I'm currently unemployed......

Peter
2001 Box S

sadly cleaning the MAF didn't work out as planned.... p0102 came back when I went out this aft to get gas.....
Sometimes ...
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Wednesday, 4 April, 2012, at 2:41:48 pm
... the MAF needs to be replaced.
I've had three or four in my car.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
MAF likely dead....
Petee_C - Thursday, 5 April, 2012, at 2:53:08 pm
Testing the pin 5 wire (White/Blue) coming out of the MAF by using a sewing needle to puncture the wire on the harness. Got 1V with ignition on, engine off, but couldn't get a reading of over 1.1V with the engine on, and revved up to 3500rpmish... Thanks to my wife for her Right foot in helping me test....

see: MAF testing with multimeter

resealed the puncture hole in the wire insulation with Automotive GOOP. (don't have liquid electrical tape... on my harborr freight shopping list next week!)

Will order a new MAF today.....

P
It's easier to measure this using an OBD-2 reader.

You have to verify the input voltage is 5v before you can definitively state that the MAF is dead. The problem is usually the MAF but it could also be the wiring, rodents love having MAF wiring for desert after they feast on your main harness.
I got my voltage numbers from this DIY on renntech

[www.renntech.org]

I guess u can't believe everything u read on the Internet. I'll take a look at the bentley when I get home.

Peter
new MAF installed
Petee_C - Wednesday, 25 April, 2012, at 10:49:42 am
Got a new (Bosch) MAF from AZ Autohaus for $207 shipped (no tax, no duty) to CBI in Niagara Falls, and picked it up on my way home from a Disney Cruise.

Installed it this morning.... 15 minutes from start to finish.

CEL cleared. went for a 10km drive.... no CEL (yet)...

Interestingly, the MAF I took out had the exact same markings as the one I put in from AZ Autohaus... hope it's a 'good' one.

P
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login