Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!
Tire Rack: Revolutionizing tire buying since 1979.
Buying through this link, gets PB a donation.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
AOS delete. Is it possible?
Petee_C - Friday, 27 April, 2012, at 1:31:15 pm
After replacing my MAF, I was wondering if it's demise is due to a failing AOS? Is it possible to delete the AOS and run a catch can of sorts? I think they do it to VW's among that crowd....

I need someone with more knowledge on vacuum tubes and engines to weigh in here.

Thanks,
Peter
The AOS cannot foul the MAF *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 27 April, 2012, at 5:12:19 pm
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: The AOS cannot foul the MAF
Petee_C - Friday, 27 April, 2012, at 8:15:16 pm
Thx.

I thought the AOS barfs oil vapours into the intake, leading to carbon buildup on the throttle body sometimes....

P
Re: The AOS cannot foul the MAF
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 27 April, 2012, at 9:21:46 pm
That's right but the throttle body is way downstream of the MAF.
The air stream in the system is one way from the air filter to the engine to the exhaust.
Happy Boixstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
enough having the AOS present even with its tendency to go bad is the lesser by a considerable margin of the two evils.

As others have noted the AOS didn't foul the MAF. At best it might oil a bit the TB and the butterfly valve -- at least this I observed when the 1st AOS failed on my 02 Boxster -- but the MAF was unaffected. The 2nd AOS failure I never bothered to look at the TB and the dealer where I had the AOS replaced didn't either, let alone remove it a clean it.

The engine sans the AOS would likely seep oil from various seals/gaskets as crankcase pressure would be higher than it is with the AOS.

Unburned gas and especially water would build up in the oil at an alarming rate. Sludge would be the result, would would in some respects take your car's engine back to the early 60s and before. I haven't seen sludge since the old draft tube method of crankcase (non)ventilation was common. And along with sludge the oil would suffer degradation in its ability to resist high temp/high pressure loads.

Sincerely,

MarcW.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login