Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile
Celebrating 10 years of PedrosBoard!

Expect the best, and accept no substitute.

Products for your Boxster, Cayman and Carrera.
Still another review, but..
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Wednesday, 6 June, 2012, at 10:20:24 pm
This one seems to like the electric steering and PDK.

[www.motortrend.com]

Lawdevil
2013 Boxster S - Agate Grey,
2016 Macan Turbo - jet black
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Re: Still another review, but..
Guenter in Ontario - Wednesday, 6 June, 2012, at 11:49:11 pm
Lawdevil
This one seems to like the electric steering and PDK.

[www.motortrend.com]

I think most of the reviews are OK with the electric steering.

With the PDK, he really wasn't able to make a comparison between it and the 6 speed and it all depends on what you want to get out of driving the car.

Febbo says, "A clutch pedal and row-your-own shifter might make you feel more like part of the car, but in the end, all you want is a different gear ratio."

It all depends on what's important to each individual. For me, if I'm not feeling like part of the car, I'm not enjoying the drive. To someone else, it might not be all that important.

If the important thing is to just get a different gear ratio, then I don't think you can get a better transmission than the PDK.
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 12:12:21 am
I don't disagree - different strokes... BTW, detailed the CURVN8R for delivery tomorrow. I'm already suffering from the impending withdrawal!.

Lawdevil
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 9:41:14 am
Lawdevil
I don't disagree - different strokes... BTW, detailed the CURVN8R for delivery tomorrow. I'm already suffering from the impending withdrawal!.

I can understand your feeling, Mike. Those are going to be six looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong weeks. Up north here, we have about sixteen of those weeks every year.

Just keep checking out the pictures and don't drink too much coffee - you'll be jumpy enough until mid July. eye popping smiley

BUT come mid July, you'll be feeling hot smiley hot smiley hot smiley

Hang in there.
Gary in SoFL - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 5:04:39 pm
....it was clearly established at BRBS why Mike is getting a 981 with PDK, which has ZERO to do with his wife being able to drive it.

She has never driven one of his P cars, and never intends to!
She will - but just in case
Lawdevil & CURVN8R - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 6:16:34 pm
I'm saving the pink PB cap to wear!

Lawdevil
Cashiers, NC & Atlanta
grinning smiley grinning smiley grinning smiley *NM*
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Friday, 8 June, 2012, at 11:45:37 am
Pedro Bonilla
1998 Boxster 986 - 311,000+ miles: [www.PedrosGarage.com]
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

Racecar spelled backwards is Racecar

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

"If you wait, all that happens is that you get older"... Mario Andretti

"Being second is to be the first of the ones who lose" ... Ayrton Senna
Re: Manual vs PDK ....
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 8:37:27 am
... If I was in the market for a new 981 (or 991) the transmission choice for me would be based on my primary use of the car.
If it was going to be my daily driver, no question I'd choose the manual tranny.
But if the car was going to be a trac car I would not hesitate for an instant in ordering it with the PDK.
I've had the opportunity, as a track instructor, to drive many PDK equipped cars such as the Boxster Spyder, the Cayman S and R as well as several iterations of the Carrera.
With the PDK I was always faster around the track than with the manual tranny.
And I never felt disconnected from the car.
The difference is that the car with PDK allows you to concentrate 100% on picking the best line, braking point, etc. without having to worry about keeping the engine at the most efficient power point.
PDK is amazing. No question about it.
Electrically assisted power steering ... I still haven't had the chance to test it on the track so I'll reserve an opinion till I do.
Happy Boxstering
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla
PCA National Club Racing Scrutineer - PCA National HPDE Instructor - PCA Technical Committee (Boxster/Cayman)

"Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting" ... Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney in "LeMans"

Re: Manual vs PDK ....
Guenter in Ontario - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 9:36:52 am
I agree with you for the most part, Pedro.

It really does depend on the primary use of the car. If you're racing on the track, every tenth of a second makes a big difference, so the PDK would be the transmission of choice. There are also people who just don't enjoy shifting and those who spend a lot of time in stop and go traffic. PDK as far as I know, is the best transmission that they could get for their style of driving.

The only thing that I found different from your experience was the connected part. Granted, I only drove a PDK equipped 2011 Boxster once on a few twisties. I just came away feeling like I'd played a video game. My left foot kept asking me, "why'd you bring me anyway?". I really missed that feeling you get from a well executed blip, downshift, power on and the upshift. Just something that I really enjoy the satisfaction of doing myself.
Aha!!!!
Pedro (Odessa, FL) - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 2:48:53 pm
... and your left foot was correct: "why did you bring it along?"
The way you want to drive a Porsche Doppelkupplung-equipped car is with left foot braking.
That way, both of your feet are involved and reaction time is quicker.
In Sport Mode, you can also accelerate and brake at the same time and the car will allow it.
Happy Doppelkapplungestribing
Pedro

Pedro Bonilla

Hope that means you're starting to feel better.

Granted, on the track, left foot braking can be an advantage.

In everyday driving, not necessarily so. Whether you pull your left foot from the dead peddle or your right foot from the gas peddle, I don't see any difference in reaction time for braking - unless it's one of those people who rests their foot on the brake peddle with brake lights on, off, on, off, on, off arrrrrrrrrrrrrr. They drive me crazy on the road.
Cleverly written and informative article, and:
Laz - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 9:04:15 am
Some of the improved front end stability (at speed) might come from the more pronounced; more horizontal lip at the bottom of the front apron. Stability under braking is partly also due to the electromechanical steering assist, which has "μ-split steering torque recommendation." To be clear about the limited slip, the locking ratios are 22% traction; 27% overrun. My 2001 required slight, very slight steering corrections during high speed highway driving, and it's possible the e-steering, along with the longer wheelbase (and wider track and other suspension modifications) will better suit my needs for long distance cruising.
One feature I don't like is the false middle radiator: I don't mind the aesthetic effect, but a black panel more flush with the apron would do the job without the added turbulence/drag the dished panel must produce. I mentioned this at the Vanderbilt Hall cocktail party to PCNA's marketing veep, stressing as to how Porsche is trying to squeeze every last bit of mileage out of a drop of gasoline, with auto stop/start, coasting, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/07/2012 09:06AM by Laz. (view changes)
One other interesting detail in the article:
Laz - Thursday, 7 June, 2012, at 4:42:19 pm
I wondered what happened to the forced air ventilation for the engine compartment now that both flank intakes are for the intake system. Each intake is divided by a horizontal strake; the air is channeled for each function.

Minus 40 degrees... Is that Fahrenheit or Celsius?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login